Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default anyone recognise these shrubs

These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I don't
recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape; I'm
moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I

don't
recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape; I'm
moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dicot 28 could possibly be Vibernum Tinus
http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-...inus-1158.aspx

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I don't
recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape; I'm
moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/

Viburnum davidii - If you are lucky, and have both a male and a female bush, you might get lovely blue berries. Otherwise it is a rather dull shrub.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

Possibly an eleagnus, but it does not have enough individuality to make identification easy.

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/

??? Campanula portenschlagiana
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
That last irritates me as I planted a campanula last year, it is doing it stuff and looks like your photo, but can I now find its label???
Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I

don't
recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape; I'm
moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dicot 28 could possibly be Vibernum Tinus
http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-...inus-1158.aspx

The venation pattern is not corrrect for Viburnum tinus; Viburnum tinus
is asymmetrically pinnately veined, which is a fairly common pattern for
dicots

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/viti12.htm

At a gross level Dicot28 has three parallel veins extending the length
of the leaf; but it looks as if the veins are dichtomomising (with the
first two splits near the base of the leaf, and sometimes hardly
separable, and a fourth vein sometimes present towards the apex. (It
could be pinnate veined in origin, with the lateral veins reduced in
number, and extended towards the apex of the leaf.)

Did you mean Dicot06? I don't see any obvious reason to discount this
one as Viburnum tinus. (In life it didn't jump out at me as Viburnum
tinus, but I haven't noticed any of these recently.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I
don't recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape; I'm
moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/

Could the first be Viburnum Davidii?
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset

Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gopher
writes
In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
These are a couple of shrubs that I've passed on my travels that I
don't recognise. The first might be planted, or might be an escape;
I'm moderately certain that the second is an escape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458312/

And also, while I'm asking, does anyone recognise this bellflower.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3778458074/

Could the first be Viburnum Davidii?

Looks very like it. Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Did you mean Dicot06? I don't see any obvious reason to discount this
one as Viburnum tinus. (In life it didn't jump out at me as Viburnum
tinus, but I haven't noticed any of these recently.)

Not V tinus. Is it one of the large leaved shrubby cotoneasters? Eg
lacteus?

No idea on the campanula. Thought at first it was poscharsky...whatever,
but I think the leaves are wrong - rounder than the pointed ovals on
yours.

--
Kay
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Did you mean Dicot06? I don't see any obvious reason to discount this
one as Viburnum tinus. (In life it didn't jump out at me as Viburnum
tinus, but I haven't noticed any of these recently.)

Not V tinus. Is it one of the large leaved shrubby cotoneasters? Eg
lacteus?

It doesn't shout out Cotoneaster to me either, but then I don't know
very many Cotoneasters. However, Stace says that Rosaceae have alternate
leaves; this plant has opposite leaves.

No idea on the campanula. Thought at first it was
poscharsky...whatever, but I think the leaves are wrong - rounder than
the pointed ovals on yours.

I've got another Campanula on the list of stuff to identify, which is
nearer to poscharskyana. (It doesn't look that far from carpatica
either.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Did you mean Dicot06? I don't see any obvious reason to discount this
one as Viburnum tinus. (In life it didn't jump out at me as Viburnum
tinus, but I haven't noticed any of these recently.)

Not V tinus. Is it one of the large leaved shrubby cotoneasters? Eg
lacteus?

It doesn't shout out Cotoneaster to me either, but then I don't know
very many Cotoneasters. However, Stace says that Rosaceae have
alternate leaves; this plant has opposite leaves.

Which is why you're looking at Viburnum (and you're quite right that
Cotoneaster has alternate leaves). Well, it's got the right vein pattern
for V tinus. But the picture looks slightly greyish, the sort of
reflection you get from a slightly thicker waxy coated shiny leaf. V
tinus leaves are shiny, but they look very green - I think you'd be hard
put to get so many of them in a photo to look greyish.

Your leaf tips are a bluntish point. V tinus has a sharper point - the
nagle between the two sides is smaller.

--
Kay
Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
[...]

It was in deepish shade, and I had to use flash, which does tend to
distort the colours, and also makes the leaves look more glossy than
they are.

Your leaf tips are a bluntish point. V tinus has a sharper point - the
nagle between the two sides is smaller.

Looking at photographs on the web I see that V. tinus has shortly
acuminate leaf apices, which makes the distinction stronger.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley