GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Finds garding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186314-finds-garding.html)

Rich[_7_] 04-08-2009 11:04 PM

Finds garding

A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

Sacha[_4_] 04-08-2009 11:12 PM

Finds garding

On 2009-08-04 23:04:15 +0100, "Rich" said:

A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

My daughter found a musket ball and an old coat button going back a
century or three.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 04-08-2009 11:42 PM

Finds garding

"Rich" wrote ...
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a tenner.
:c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

Our old plot had lots of glass marbles and bits of clay pipe (smoking type)
and some prehistoric flint tools turned up too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stephen Wolstenholme 05-08-2009 12:40 AM

Finds garding

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 23:04:15 +0100, "Rich" wrote:

A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

While mowing the lawn the mower found a long neck chain. After
cleaning it became obvious that it was silver. The value is unknown.

Steve

bobharvey 05-08-2009 07:33 AM

Finds garding

On 4 Aug, 23:04, "Rich" wrote:
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

There was a mad old lady who used to encourage me to dig up my
orchard, by saying that the public footpath adjacent to it was the one
that King John was using when he lost the royal treasury in the wash.

I live around 35 miles west of Kings Lynne, traditionally associated
with the story.

So, no. I havn't.

K 05-08-2009 08:42 AM

Finds garding

Rich writes
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

I can remember pre-decimal coinage. It was a lot more fun - you would
regularly find George VI and V, Edward VII (and the odd VIII) and
Victorian coins in you change, and just rarely the odd William.

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

My long lost carving knife in the compost heap (blame children and pizza
deliveries)

--
Kay

Bob Hobden 05-08-2009 05:47 PM

Finds garding

"bobharvey" wrote
"Rich" wrote:
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

There was a mad old lady who used to encourage me to dig up my
orchard, by saying that the public footpath adjacent to it was the one
that King John was using when he lost the royal treasury in the wash.

I live around 35 miles west of Kings Lynne, traditionally associated
with the story.

So, no. I havn't.

Sounds like you need to hire a powerful Metal Detector (as used by a relly
for gold prospecting in Oz)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Rich[_7_] 06-08-2009 06:20 PM

Finds garding

"Rich" wrote in message
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

In my garden I found my marbles.

Bigal 07-08-2009 10:24 AM

Are you sure they are yours. That's where I lost mine. Bigal

Gordon H[_3_] 07-08-2009 03:20 PM

Finds garding

In message , Rich
writes
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

I used to pretend to find coins in the garden to get the kids digging,
but it didn't work.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

aquachimp 07-08-2009 04:58 PM

Finds garding

On Aug 5, 12:04*am, "Rich" wrote:
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?

Do bombs count?

Gordon H[_3_] 08-08-2009 03:15 PM

Finds garding

In message , Bigal
writes

'Rich[_7_ Wrote:
;859748']"Rich" wrote in message
...-
A friend found a George III penny whilst garding. Might be worth a
tenner. :c)

Any nice find stories whilst simply gardening?-

In my garden I found my marbles.

Are you sure they are yours. That's where I lost mine. Bigal

I think I lost mine when we used them to play miniature cricket back in
the 1940s.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply