Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

On Aug 8, 5:12*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away *"fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. *They usually processed them into animal food.

I went out this morning and there on the drive was a dead bee. I
picked it up and tried to feed it to the cat (having forgotten to buy
the catfood yesterday). I guess that makes me a beemonger!

Mrs Moghouse says I'm a beenuisance - what can she mean?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal
food.

"". a person who deals in or prepares animal skins""

Bit different to what you describe.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal food.

I went out this morning and there on the drive was a dead bee. I
picked it up and tried to feed it to the cat (having forgotten to buy
the catfood yesterday). I guess that makes me a beemonger!

Mrs Moghouse says I'm a beenuisance - what can she mean?

.................................................. ....................

If you prepared the Bee's Skin first, then yes ;-)

Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen
stock" i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into
animal food.

I went out this morning and there on the drive was a dead bee. I
picked it up and tried to feed it to the cat (having forgotten to buy
the catfood yesterday). I guess that makes me a beemonger!

Mrs Moghouse says I'm a beenuisance - what can she mean?

Well, I can think of a few things.. but they couldn't 'possibly' apply to
you... could they?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 07:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a
tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.

What? How can you bear to live in a house in which you are not allowed
be a fellmonger????

Pah.... they are just mean!

I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Oh, well that is a relief

Unless Christine is telling porkies.
A fellmonger is a dead cow plucker.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fellmongery

No, I am not telling porkies, it truly does say that on my house deeds.

Of course. Nobody could make that up )

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal
food.
We had a fellmonger only two miles away from here until recently. He used
to advertise himself as "Thomas Tertius Ross, fellmonger and licensed
horse
slaughterer"
You could smell his yard half a mile away.

Is Webster's definition rubbish then? I didn't;t know what the word meant
until
you told us about your deeds.

I don't know if their definition is rubbish - I have to confess I didn't
read the link. Having met Mr T T Ross on a couple of occasions picking up
dead sheep, I have no reason to doubt that if he said he was a fellmonger,
that's what he was. He definitely slaughtered horses.
What a job, eh?

Tina

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Having met Mr T T Ross on a couple of occasions picking up
dead sheep, I have no reason to doubt that if he said he was a fellmonger,
that's what he was. He definitely slaughtered horses.
What a job, eh?

Knackering?
--

Martin

Definitions of knacker :

a.. someone who buys old buildings or ships and breaks them up to recover
the materials in them
b.. someone who buys up old horses for slaughter

Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:34:47 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

"British : one who removes hair or wool from hides in preparation for
leather
making"

Having met Mr T T Ross on a couple of occasions picking up
dead sheep, I have no reason to doubt that if he said he was a fellmonger,
that's what he was. He definitely slaughtered horses.
What a job, eh?

Knackering?

Yes, very ;-)
No, seriously. Maybe he did remove wool and hair from the carcasses he
collected and that's why he called himself a fellmonger. He was a strange
sort of chap, always looked filthy. He had a couple of sons who probably
had learning disabilities (from what I saw of them) who used to help him in
his yard. Shooting old horses and such and cutting them up for petfood.
He was known as "Tut" Ross. When my horse was ill once, it was suggested I
might have to send for Tut Ross, which struck fear into my heart.
Fortunately I didn't have to, my horse recovered.

He's dead now, is Thomas Tertius Ross. His yard was closed then by
Environmental Health.
There were dead animals everywhere and some sad horses awaiting their fate.

Tina

Old 10-08-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes
wrote:

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away *"fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. *They usually processed them into animal food.

I went out this morning and there on the drive was a dead bee. I
picked it up and tried to feed it to the cat (having forgotten to buy
the catfood yesterday). I guess that makes me a beemonger!

Mrs Moghouse says I'm a beenuisance - what can she mean?

Sigh
She just doesn't understand you.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 10, 1:59*pm, Gordon H
wrote:

I went out this morning and there on the drive was a dead bee. I
picked it up and tried to feed it to the cat (having forgotten to buy
the catfood yesterday). I guess that makes me a beemonger!

Mrs Moghouse says I'm a beenuisance - what can she mean?

Sigh

She just doesn't understand you.

True, but she gives me a heck of a buzz!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-05 07:55:26 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

A report on radio4 this morning, asking people to keep a bee colony in
their
gardens and even on a balcony (for example) for city dwellers. How
practical is this?

You can buy bee boxes for bumble bees and put them up as instructed. It
doesn't have to be a honey bee colony. Three species of bumble bees are
now extinct. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I have put a bumble bee nest in the garden - I was too late for a queen to
take up residence this year. Hopefully it will get use next year. I do,
however, have a colony of bumble bees in a cavity wall. As they are entirely
beneficial and remarkably docile creatures, I'm quite happy to have them
there. There are far fewer honey bees around than 'normal' this year, but
*lots* of bummlers. I do like bummlers. Plus I've got miner bees in the
garden, which I leave to get on with things too. The bummlers are being very
good at pollinating my beans, tomatoes, courgettes & squashes. I'd love to
have a hive of honey bees, but I do not have the space to put it somewhere
where they can take up residence without causing hassle to passers-by or me.
If I had more space, I'd love to take up beekeeping. So those of us with
gardens can make space for all sorts of pollinating insects even if we can't
keep honey bees. We must also remember to make sure that what we plant will
also supply food for the bees - so a variety of plants is a good idea. As
well as my veggies, I've got buddlhia (sp?), lilac, sunflowers, wisteria,
calendula, viburnum, lavatera, honeysuckle, mint, thyme, sage, chives... all
sorts out there, so they've a fair bit to choose from over many months. Also
I do not use any form of pesticide, and most especially not the systemic
ones which are a possible cause of CCD in honey bees.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:55:26 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

A report on radio4 this morning, asking people to keep a bee colony in
their
gardens and even on a balcony (for example) for city dwellers. How
practical is this?

Put the Beehaus next to the Egloo?
--

Don't start me on Eglus. They are far too small to keep chickens in, and
they are plastic which often gives the hens unfortunate enough to live in

I've noted that the Beehaus comes from the same manufacturers.

I hate this new idea that everyone can keep chickens in the tiniest of
gardens with an Eglu - and now it seems to be extending to bees.

Tina

Eglus are overpriced. Ok as overnight accommodation for a couple of hens if
they have access to more space to wander in during the day.

The current accommodation for the four Laydeez of Chez Wafflycat is this:-

A tonne of this
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n150609002.jpg
with these
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n150609001.jpg
and courtesy of Freecycle, these
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...210609002.jpg#
Came together to make
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n006290709.jpg
And added in this
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...y010809001.jpg

And they are helping dig the foundations of the new shed..
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...thefoundat.jpg

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:54:27 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 2009-08-05 21:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Christina Websell wrote:

I am very interested in Sacha's comment, about having a 'hive' for
bumble bees. Have you heard anything about those?

Yes. They are easy to make, have a look on the web. I've made
several and they've all been taken up.
I've also drilled a log with holes for solitary bees and some of
holes are blocked up with clay, so I guess a few solitary bees found
it a good place to lay their eggs.

How do you attract them, or do they just find it?

You would need bee friendly plants nearby but things like sedums can be
grown in troughs and pots.

We have a bee friendly garden but it must be 2 months since we last saw
even a
bumble bee. There were lots of bumble bees in spring and now there are
none.
On Monday, we put one of those Victorian wasp traps in the garden & got
rid of
the wasp population too. I had to put a few drops of beer in it first.

Pigs are the next thing to have in your garden
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ternative.html

or a complete farmyard of animals.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6740456.ece

Ostriches next?

Now that you mention ostriches.... there was someone in the village in wot i
live had ostriches in their front garden. It was most disconcerting to be
walking along the narrow path and then see an ostrich head peering out of
the hedge at you...

Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message

or a complete farmyard of animals.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6740456.ece

Ostriches next?

Now that you mention ostriches.... there was someone in the village in wot
i live had ostriches in their front garden. It was most disconcerting to
be walking along the narrow path and then see an ostrich head peering out
of the hedge at you...

And they are even more efficient than chickens at destroying a lawn...

Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Excellent post! Thank you

Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , wafflycat
writes

"wafflycat" wrote

Now that you mention ostriches.... there was someone in the village
in wot i live had ostriches in their front garden. It was most
disconcerting to be walking along the narrow path and then see an
ostrich head peering out of the hedge at you...

And they are even more efficient than chickens at destroying a lawn...

Horses do a pretty good job, too.
I woke up one morning to find two horses which had somehow escaped from
a stables about 1/4 mile away.
I called the po-lice, who guessed where they were from, and then went
and talked to the horses until a couple of girls in jodhpurs arrived.

They left 'oofprints several inches deep, and the trouble with horses is
that they don't even graze the grass evenly like sheep, but leave
clumps.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply