GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cherry tree control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186350-cherry-tree-control.html)

mark 06-08-2009 12:04 PM

Cherry tree control

16 years ago I recklessly planted a cherry tree in the garden when my
daughter was born. We like the tree but its a tad tall now :)
About 30' in fact. And only 20 foot away from the house :(
The intention was to keep it small but its been a busy 16 years....
I don't really want to cut it down so I was wondering what I can do in
the way of reducing its height.
It has never produced cherries just clusters of very small green-white
flowers each year.
Advice, ridicule and taunting welcome.
Thank you.
--
Mark Roberts

Stephen Wolstenholme 06-08-2009 12:28 PM

Cherry tree control

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:04:34 +0100, mark
wrote:

16 years ago I recklessly planted a cherry tree in the garden when my
daughter was born. We like the tree but its a tad tall now :)
About 30' in fact. And only 20 foot away from the house :(
The intention was to keep it small but its been a busy 16 years....
I don't really want to cut it down so I was wondering what I can do in
the way of reducing its height.
It has never produced cherries just clusters of very small green-white
flowers each year.
Advice, ridicule and taunting welcome.
Thank you.

I have one that got to about the same height as yours and it is only
ten feet from the house. Last year I got a tree man to reduce it to
about 15 foot high. We had an extension to the house built a few years
ago. The chap who dug the foundations chopped the tree roots at the
same time. There are lots of suckers from the tree that need to be
pulled up very frequently.

Steve