GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Field bindweed in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186392-field-bindweed-lawn.html)

[email protected] 08-08-2009 05:19 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-08-2009 06:08 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

In message ,
writes

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

Top dress with aminopyralid-contaminated manure :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 09-08-2009 01:06 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

In article ,
says...

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You would probably find one of the hormone based weedkillers for
lawns would work but what you then do with a years worth of mowings I m
not sure (but I do know they cause al sorts of problems on the flower
beds!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

[email protected] 09-08-2009 01:48 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

You would probably find one of the hormone based weedkillers for
lawns would work but what you then do with a years worth of mowings I m
not sure (but I do know they cause al sorts of problems on the flower
beds!)

Thanks for the warning. That is an absolute no-no. I am not prepared
to fool around with multiple series of compost heaps, even if Herself
could remember which one to use!

If it won't degrade in a compost heap in a year, I don't want anything
to do with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

R[_5_] 09-08-2009 08:44 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

In message , writes

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

Is there any lawn weedkiller that is worth bothering with? All
of the other weeds, I either don't mind or can be removed by hand.

Teasing each patch out and using glyphosate is INCREDIBLY tedious,
as well as likely to kill patches of grass (whatever care I take).

Top dress with aminopyralid-contaminated manure :-)

By feck that's some nasty shit that is !

See
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/garden.asp?id=2480

Martin Brown 10-08-2009 09:39 AM

Field bindweed in lawn

wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

One of the broadleaf weed specific ones applied only to the offending
areas will keep the total dose low. And much less collateral damage than
using glyphosate - grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

You can get them in wax pencil or felt tip/shoe shine style devices.

If it won't degrade in a compost heap in a year, I don't want anything
to do with it.

There are less persistant broadleaf specific weedkillers than
aminopyralid. Using it as a spot weeder might be OK too.

I actually rather like a bit of field bindweed, but it won't really grow
in my heavy clay soil! Hedge bindweed grows very well though!

Regards,
Martin Brown

[email protected] 10-08-2009 10:18 AM

Field bindweed in lawn

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

One of the broadleaf weed specific ones applied only to the offending
areas will keep the total dose low. And much less collateral damage than
using glyphosate - grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

I know - it was originally developed for the control of couch grass.
However, my problem remains. I have never used a specifically
broadleaf herbicide in my life, and field bindweed is a particularly
herbicide-resistant plant - MUCH more so than hedge bindweed. Any
ideas on a specific poison?

I actually rather like a bit of field bindweed, but it won't really grow
in my heavy clay soil! Hedge bindweed grows very well though!

I am not intending to eliminate it from the rougher part of the lawn,
but would like to do so in some places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Martin Brown 10-08-2009 02:12 PM

Field bindweed in lawn

wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
We have a new lawn, but the pre-treatment failed to kill all of
the field bindweed - surprise, surprise! - and there are a hundred
or so small patches in irritating positions. It is, of course,
not discouraged by mowing or being pulled out by hand.

One of the broadleaf weed specific ones applied only to the offending
areas will keep the total dose low. And much less collateral damage than
using glyphosate - grass is exquisitely sensitive to it.

I know - it was originally developed for the control of couch grass.
However, my problem remains. I have never used a specifically
broadleaf herbicide in my life, and field bindweed is a particularly
herbicide-resistant plant - MUCH more so than hedge bindweed. Any
ideas on a specific poison?

I'd guess at MCPA or MCPP since they do translocate into the roots and
are slow acting. But I have never had to fight with field bindweed.

I expect it will need hitting two or three times to kill all the
underground stored energy in the root system.

I actually rather like a bit of field bindweed, but it won't really grow
in my heavy clay soil! Hedge bindweed grows very well though!

I am not intending to eliminate it from the rougher part of the lawn,
but would like to do so in some places.

I'd be inclined to try spot weeding it with Verdone which is a mix of 3
different broadleaf specific herbicides and claims to be effective
against stubborn weeds. It doesn't say how well it acts on field bindweed.

If you are selective and only apply it to a few weedy areas then it
isn't too bad. A small bottle lasts me 3 to 5 years for about 1/3 acre
of grass. I only really kill invasive weeds, dandelions, groundelder and
plantains. Any nice small coloured flowers get to live. I don't
persecute clover at all or daisies very much. And I have allowed a few
small bellis with coloured double daisy type flowers to naturalise in
the lawn. I am not keen on chemically maintained perfect green lawns.

I confess I never bother to keep a separate heap and I do one weed &
feed a year to mainly control the moss after the long wet winters. My
heap runs hot enough that any traces are long gone by next year.

Regards,
Martin Brown