GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186414-broad-beans.html)

Paul 09-08-2009 05:36 PM

Broad beans

Just dug up my broad beans after a very successful first year - never
knew my wife could be so inventive with broad bean recipes! (Favourite
probably bacon, mushroom & broad bean risotto)

My query is - can I (indeed should I) shell the last few pods for
drying to use as next year's starter seeds? Or am I best buying new
each year?

TIA for any advice

Paul

Pete C[_2_] 09-08-2009 06:09 PM

Broad beans

Paul wrote:
Just dug up my broad beans after a very successful first year - never
knew my wife could be so inventive with broad bean recipes! (Favourite
probably bacon, mushroom & broad bean risotto)

My query is - can I (indeed should I) shell the last few pods for
drying to use as next year's starter seeds? Or am I best buying new
each year?

TIA for any advice

Paul

Yes, with a word of warning. When pollinating, bees etc may have visited a
different variety of bean, in which case you may not get a true variety. If
there are no other beans being grown closer than half a mile or so, it
should be ok. I'm doing the same with my runners, but only as a back up/out
of interest.
HTH :)
--
Pete C
London UK

shazzbat 09-08-2009 07:15 PM

Broad beans

"Pete C" wrote in message

Paul wrote:
Just dug up my broad beans after a very successful first year - never
knew my wife could be so inventive with broad bean recipes! (Favourite
probably bacon, mushroom & broad bean risotto)

My query is - can I (indeed should I) shell the last few pods for
drying to use as next year's starter seeds? Or am I best buying new
each year?

I know someone who has done this for 20+ years without problems. But if
you're wanting to grow some over winter, stick with one of the hardy
varieties such as aquadulce Claudia.

Steve

[email protected] 09-08-2009 07:57 PM

Broad beans

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
Paul wrote:

Just dug up my broad beans after a very successful first year - never
knew my wife could be so inventive with broad bean recipes! (Favourite
probably bacon, mushroom & broad bean risotto)

My query is - can I (indeed should I) shell the last few pods for
drying to use as next year's starter seeds? Or am I best buying new
each year?

I know someone who has done this for 20+ years without problems. But if
you're wanting to grow some over winter, stick with one of the hardy
varieties such as aquadulce Claudia.

It's fairly basic, but worth mentioning. Broad beans, as normally
used, are unripe and will not germinate - they can be dried and
used as dried beans without problems, of course. Any beans used
for seed MUST be left to ripen on the plant, and only picked after
the pod had gone leathery or even dry and hard.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pete C[_2_] 09-08-2009 09:12 PM

Broad beans

[...]