GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fuchsias (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186513-fuchsias.html)

Kate Morgan 14-08-2009 01:53 PM

Fuchsias

Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

mark 14-08-2009 11:32 PM

Fuchsias

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

My outdoors fuchsias were quite prolific about a month ago and I was even
prompted to take a pic.
Not so good now, only about a quarter the amount of flowers.

A pic:
http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...uschia.jpgmark

mark

beccabunga 15-08-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Morgan (Post 860856)
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

Yes. Have concluded that this cool, wet spell has not favoured them. Am thinking of moving a couple to a lighter warmer spot.

However, they carried their foliage all winter, so maybe they are just a bit exhausted.

K 15-08-2009 11:04 AM

Fuchsias

beccabunga writes

Kate Morgan;860856 Wrote:
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

Yes. Have concluded that this cool, wet spell has not favoured them. Am
thinking of moving a couple to a lighter warmer spot.

However, they carried their foliage all winter, so maybe they are just
a bit exhausted.

Should be the other way round! Foliage is a benefit, not a burden - it
manufactures the energy for all the other stuff.

--
Kay

Broadback[_2_] 15-08-2009 12:56 PM

Fuchsias

K wrote:
beccabunga writes

Kate Morgan;860856 Wrote:
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

Yes. Have concluded that this cool, wet spell has not favoured them. Am
thinking of moving a couple to a lighter warmer spot.

However, they carried their foliage all winter, so maybe they are just
a bit exhausted.

Should be the other way round! Foliage is a benefit, not a burden - it
manufactures the energy for all the other stuff.

Strangely mine have loads of flowers, but there leaves are now very
sparse, I hope that does not mean I will have a lean year next year.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Pam Moore[_2_] 15-08-2009 07:36 PM

Fuchsias

news:MpqdneSNg5TOwxjXnZ2dnUVZ8jqdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

My outdoors fuchsias were quite prolific about a month ago and I was even
prompted to take a pic.
Not so good now, only about a quarter the amount of flowers.

MIne have been really good this year.
I've not fed much but tomato feed helps.

Pam in Bristol

Kate Morgan 16-08-2009 10:44 AM

Fuchsias

:
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

Yes. Have concluded that this cool, wet spell has not favoured them. Am
thinking of moving a couple to a lighter warmer spot.

snip

I have fed the smaller ones and they are O.K.ish but my pride and joy hedge
is still looking rather flowerless :-( I think that I will blame the weather
!

kate

Kate Morgan 18-08-2009 10:02 AM

Fuchsias

:
Loads of growth and greenery but not so many flowers, anyone else ?

kate

Yes. Have concluded that this cool, wet spell has not favoured them. Am
thinking of moving a couple to a lighter warmer spot.

snip

I have fed the smaller ones and they are O.K.ish but my pride and joy
hedge is still looking rather flowerless :-( I think that I will blame
the weather !

kate

Kate, we have a low hedge of F. microphylla and parts of it have been very
slow to get going this year. It had a real bashing in the winter,
survived but sulked for a long time. I don't think the others have been
quite as floriferous, either, other than a variegated one with pale pink
'pagoda' type flowers which is just covered atm. I can't remember its
name but it seems almost to have thrived on the horrible winter, though
it's a bit more sheltered than some others.
--
Sacha

Its looks like I am not alone re. sulking Fuchsias :-) maybe a warm and
sunny autumn will put a smile back on their faces. We have lots of fruit and
nuts to make up for the lack of flowers :-)

kate