GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   3 Peace Hybrid Tea for £3.49 - good deal? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/18678-3-peace-hybrid-tea-%A33-49-good-deal.html)

David W.E. Roberts 27-04-2003 01:56 PM

3 Peace Hybrid Tea for £3.49 - good deal?

No, this is not SPAM :-)

Wandering through Morrisons yesterday and saw they were selling hybrid tea
roses - 3 for £3.49.

O.K. so it is right at the end of the planting season, and they are
bare(ish) rooted but considering the usual price on the net is around £3-£5
per rose they look good value.

I am soaking the roots at the moment as instructed - even though they were
in moist compost surrounded by soft paper and inside an individual plastic
bag so seemed quite moist.

Are these roses cheap because I will lose most of a season while they play
'catchup' - only one has an active shoot growing - or are they a genuine
bargain brought about by bulk buying and packaging the most popular
varieties?

Anyone else had success/failure with these packaged supermarket roses?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. describes as 'fragrant' but
http://www.britishroses.co.uk/hybrid_tea_p02.htm only gives them one star
for scent whilst
http://www.countrygardenroses.com/in....htm~mainFrame
rates them as 'good fragrance' so how do you know how strong they will smell
before you buy? Should there be a recognised 'star rating' on the packaging?