Old 24-08-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - have the swifts and swallows gone already?

Lying on my back in the hammock this evening I noticed a distinct lack of
swifts, swallows and house martins in the sky.

I thought they migrated a bit later in the year.

Does anyone else still have them around?

We are in coastal Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 24-08-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 24, 8:23*pm, "Lizzie Crawshaw" wrote:

We still have swallows in Yorkshire, noticed some just today.

Aye, but in Yorkshire t'swallows are 'ard, not like those softy
southern birds.
Old 24-08-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Lying on my back in the hammock this evening I noticed a distinct lack
of swifts, swallows and house martins in the sky.

I thought they migrated a bit later in the year.

Does anyone else still have them around?

We are in coastal Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

They're still here in Dorset in some numbers but for a more complete
picture I suggest you post to uk.rec.birdwatching.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 24-08-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:09:43 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote
(in article ):

Lying on my back in the hammock this evening I noticed a distinct lack of
swifts, swallows and house martins in the sky.

I thought they migrated a bit later in the year.

Does anyone else still have them around?

We are in coastal Suffolk.

We still have them here - on their third brood (magpies got the first one).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 24-08-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:09:43 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

Lying on my back in the hammock this evening I noticed a distinct lack of
swifts, swallows and house martins in the sky.

I thought they migrated a bit later in the year.

Does anyone else still have them around?

We are in coastal Suffolk.

I think most Swifts have left us by now. Still lots of Swallows (and I mean
lots) around here - dozens flying about and sitting on the wires preparing
for the long journey.

I'm a bit north of you - North East Lincolnshire.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Old 24-08-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 24, 10:52*pm, Martin wrote:

They are still plenty in the Netherlands. Judging by the way they are lining up
on horizontal wires, they have packed their bags and are about to leave.

Yes, I know how they feel - I once had a holiday in the Netherlands
too!