Old 26-08-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Should Runner Beans be finishing already?

My runner beans tended to have all their flowers at the top of their
growth where it was difficult to reach and now have had no new flowers
for two weeks - this despite picking all beans as soon as they were
about 10" long.

Many of the beans are brown, undeveloped and furry.

I don't think I will be getting many more beans; yet the book I have
says that they should continue cropping until the first frosts.

Is this normal?

DAvy
Old 26-08-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Davy wrote:
My runner beans tended to have all their flowers at the top of their
growth where it was difficult to reach and now have had no new flowers
for two weeks - this despite picking all beans as soon as they were
about 10" long.

Many of the beans are brown, undeveloped and furry.

I don't think I will be getting many more beans; yet the book I have
says that they should continue cropping until the first frosts.

Is this normal?

DAvy

No, it isn't normal. They should, as you say, keep cropping until the
first frosts. Are you keeping them well fed and watered? They are very
greedy feeders and can drink most other plants under the table ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-08-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . 145,
Davy wrote:
My runner beans tended to have all their flowers at the top of their
growth where it was difficult to reach and now have had no new flowers
for two weeks - this despite picking all beans as soon as they were
about 10" long.

Many of the beans are brown, undeveloped and furry.

I don't think I will be getting many more beans; yet the book I have
says that they should continue cropping until the first frosts.

Is this normal?

Yes. Either or both of cold weather or lack of rain will do it.
Mine have done the same, mainly for the latter reason.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-08-2009, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
My runner beans tended to have all their flowers at the top of their
growth where it was difficult to reach and now have had no new flowers
for two weeks - this despite picking all beans as soon as they were
about 10" long.

Many of the beans are brown, undeveloped and furry.

I don't think I will be getting many more beans; yet the book I have
says that they should continue cropping until the first frosts.

Is this normal?

DAvy

Our beans are still doing very well and I have just been round to a
neighbours to dump some rubbish and theirs are doing very well and still in
full flower

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 27-08-2009, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:14:07 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Our beans are still doing very well and I have just been round to a
neighbours to dump some rubbish and theirs are doing very well and still in
full flower

Our neighbours get quite upset if we dump our rubbish on their gardens

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 27-08-2009, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our beans are still doing very well and I have just been round to a
neighbours to dump some rubbish and theirs are doing very well and still
in
full flower

Our neighbours get quite upset if we dump our rubbish on their gardens

Well it wasn't our immediate neighbour, it was the one next door but one.

Old 27-08-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lizzie Crawshaw" wrote in message

wrote:

Our beans are still doing very well and I have just been round to
a neighbours to dump some rubbish and theirs are doing very well
and still in full flower

Our neighbours get quite upset if we dump our rubbish on their
gardens

Well it wasn't our immediate neighbour, it was the one next door but
one.

I once had a neighbour who put rubbish on our garden...I went round and
took all his beans.

--
Lizzie

Well they won't take our beans, the house is empty :-))

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our beans are still doing very well and I have just been round to
a neighbours to dump some rubbish and theirs are doing very well
and still in full flower

Our neighbours get quite upset if we dump our rubbish on their
gardens

Well it wasn't our immediate neighbour, it was the one next door but
one.

I once had a neighbour who put rubbish on our garden...I went round and
took all his beans.

I knew someone who'd put up with a difficult neighbour for years. He got
fed up with no results from trying to sort it reasonably. So he filled a
watering can with liquid fertiliser, went round in the dead of night and
wrote "you ar*ehole" on his lawn.
Nothing happened for a couple of weeks until it greened up and mow as he
would it was there for months!
No criminal damage was done. Trespass could not be proved.
Brilliant.

Tina

Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I knew someone who'd put up with a difficult neighbour for years.

Tina

Excuse me, why bring up the subject of 'difficult neighbours'? We all get on
fine round here. The subject is Runner Beans finishing early and neither
ours nor the neighbours have finished.

Thank you