GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using pond liner under mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186896-using-pond-liner-under-mulch.html)

Peter Greenley 28-08-2009 11:01 AM

Using pond liner under mulch

I would appreciate any advice for this newbie, and apologies if this
is a stupid question.

I recently had someone clear a patch of weeds from the corner of the
garden, and put some mulch down. I had a bit of old pond liner lying
around, and they asked if they could use that as a layer beneath the
mulch. I said yes, and they did the job. Now I'm thinking -- hang on,
pond liner is designed to be waterproof obviously, so the rain will
not drain off. I know that the stuff you buy from garden centres is
usually permeable for this reason.

Anyway, does this matter? Should I just punch a few drainage holes in
the plastic? Or am I destined to have a waterlogged patch of the
garden?

PG

Gordon H[_3_] 28-08-2009 02:14 PM

Using pond liner under mulch

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message

from Peter Greenley contains these words:

I would appreciate any advice for this newbie, and apologies if this
is a stupid question.

I recently had someone clear a patch of weeds from the corner of the
garden, and put some mulch down.

what kind of mulch, and why? There are different kinds and different
purposes .

I would guess it might be bark chippings rather than mulch, but I could
be barking up the wrong tree?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Sacha[_4_] 28-08-2009 05:45 PM

Using pond liner under mulch

On 2009-08-28 11:01:20 +0100, Peter Greenley
said:

I would appreciate any advice for this newbie, and apologies if this
is a stupid question.

I recently had someone clear a patch of weeds from the corner of the
garden, and put some mulch down. I had a bit of old pond liner lying
around, and they asked if they could use that as a layer beneath the
mulch. I said yes, and they did the job. Now I'm thinking -- hang on,
pond liner is designed to be waterproof obviously, so the rain will
not drain off. I know that the stuff you buy from garden centres is
usually permeable for this reason.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit strange. Perhaps they've used the pond liner as a
weed suppressant, which it will be but then why mulch it? Did you pay
for the mulch??!!

Anyway, does this matter? Should I just punch a few drainage holes in
the plastic? Or am I destined to have a waterlogged patch of the
garden?

PG

Does it slope? Will water run off in that case? If not and it's
getting boggy, punch some holes in it or tell them to come back and do
it!!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

PG 28-08-2009 10:15 PM

On 2009-08-28 11:01:20 +0100, Peter Greenley
said:

[...]

Hello again,

Is it that strange?

The plastic layer is to suppress the weeds, yes.

The mulch isn't bark chippings but a rather nice looking black manurey
substance that smells strongly of horse.

I've spoken to the gardener again today who suggests that a few drainage
holes from a fork wouldn't go amiss. I'm suitably reassured.

Thank you for your responses

PG

Sacha[_4_] 28-08-2009 10:59 PM

On 2009-08-28 11:01:20 +0100, Peter Greenley
said:

[...]

If the mulch is there to provide a planting medium you will want it to
drain unless you're planning a bog garden.