GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way of growing bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186903-best-way-growing-bulbs.html)

john royce 28-08-2009 09:13 PM

Best way of growing bulbs

Have just bought a couple of hycinth bulbs ( becoming orange colour which i
cannot recollect seeing before).

I thought i would suspend the bulbs over jar of water, like those specially
shaped hycinth bulb jars i saw some years ago.

My question is: will they do as well suspended above water as they would
planted in john innes (since i'm thinking all the nutrient needed is already
in the bulb?)

If they are as happy above water, would it make any useful difference if i
were to say add growmore granules to the water as an additional nutrient?
Thanks for advice.

mark 30-08-2009 07:38 AM

Best way of growing bulbs

"john royce" wrote in message
Have just bought a couple of hycinth bulbs ( becoming orange colour which
i cannot recollect seeing before).

I thought i would suspend the bulbs over jar of water, like those
specially shaped hycinth bulb jars i saw some years ago.

My question is: will they do as well suspended above water as they would
planted in john innes (since i'm thinking all the nutrient needed is
already in the bulb?)

If they are as happy above water, would it make any useful difference if i
were to say add growmore granules to the water as an additional nutrient?
Thanks for advice.

You've two bulbs. Try both ways and let us know!

mark

john royce 30-08-2009 10:25 AM

Best way of growing bulbs

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"john royce" wrote in message
Have just bought a couple of hycinth bulbs ( becoming orange colour which
i cannot recollect seeing before).

I thought i would suspend the bulbs over jar of water, like those
specially shaped hycinth bulb jars i saw some years ago.

My question is: will they do as well suspended above water as they would
planted in john innes (since i'm thinking all the nutrient needed is
already in the bulb?)

If they are as happy above water, would it make any useful difference if
i were to say add growmore granules to the water as an additional
nutrient? Thanks for advice.

You've two bulbs. Try both ways and let us know!

mark

it was'nt two ways it was three ways and i've only got two bulbs. any
advice from a respondant that knows appreciated.