GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good foliage plants for flower arranger? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186935-re-good-foliage-plants-flower-arranger.html)

Spider[_2_] 30-08-2009 02:20 PM

Good foliage plants for flower arranger?

"Trevor" wrote in message
My wife would like me to grow foliage plants to provide her with
'Greenery' all the year round for her flower arranging - any suggestions?
There's a surprising dearth of info when I google.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

To Charlie's list, add ferns, grasses (which include juncus, reeds, sedges,
restios); also Muehlenbeckia complexa, which will trail or twine. Fig *in a
pot*, for those large, lobed leaves. I used to find Cotoneaster
horizontalis useful for arching, wishbone structure. The larger Bergenias
would provide huge, glossy leaves. Don't rule out the larger leaved indoor
Begonias (unspoiled by weather or slugs) or, similarly, Scindapsus (syn.
Epipremum). I would think the Heucheras, although short-stemmed, would
offer great variety, as would the Brunneras (provided they last well in
water). Other good leaves would include Fatsia, Helleborus, Rodgersia.

Not all these are year-round, so ivy, holly, yew (if you have space),
evergreen forms of cotoneaster and viburnum would provide stems over the
winter.

Spider

Incidentally, if hay fever prevents you growing grasses, try plants with
grass-like foliage, such as Dierama, Schizostylus, Crocosmia, Iris,
Sisyrinchium.