GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snails in the water butt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186960-snails-water-butt.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 30-08-2009 09:38 PM

Snails in the water butt

One of our butts seems to be a swimming pool for snails, except they can't
swim and drown. They float for a while then I presume sink. Will it cause
any problem?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Bob Hobden 30-08-2009 09:48 PM

Snails in the water butt

"'Mike'" wrote ...
One of our butts seems to be a swimming pool for snails, except they can't
swim and drown. They float for a while then I presume sink. Will it cause
any problem?

Thy will rot and smell absolutely dreadful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David in Normandy[_8_] 30-08-2009 09:50 PM

Snails in the water butt

'Mike' wrote:
One of our butts seems to be a swimming pool for snails, except they can't
swim and drown. They float for a while then I presume sink. Will it cause
any problem?

Not likely to cause any problems for your plants. I get a few snails
appear in mine too, presumably washed down the guttering. As they
decompose they will add a bit of extra nourishment to the water. That is
the view I take anyway. Today I've pumped some water from our
underground tank and noticed a dead frog floating on top. It also
collects the occasional dead rodent. I certainly wouldn't want to drink
the water! Good for plants though.

Once a year, usually in Spring I completely empty the 500 litre water
butt - it ends up with smelly sludge in the bottom, presumably from the
decomposed insects and leaves.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

'Mike'[_4_] 30-08-2009 10:00 PM

Snails in the water butt

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote ...
One of our butts seems to be a swimming pool for snails, except they
can't swim and drown. They float for a while then I presume sink. Will it
cause any problem?

Thy will rot and smell absolutely dreadful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

That was a bit personal Bob ;-)

jbm[_2_] 31-08-2009 12:07 AM

Snails in the water butt

Only if they drift over to the tap outlet. :)

jim, Northampton