GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice needed, glasshouse or polytunnel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186962-advice-needed-glasshouse-polytunnel.html)

kerrygirl 31-08-2009 01:34 PM

Advice needed, glasshouse or polytunnel

Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardenbanter. I have started a new step in gardening, I grew seeds for the first time this summer. I have been trying to educate myself on glasshouses and polytunnels but I'm still not sure, at the moment I can't afford a glasshouse. A lot of the seed packets say ' protect from frost ' would a polytunnel protect my seeds during winter or is it used for spring growing. Advice very much appreciated. I live in Ireland.

kerrygirl.

Bob Hobden 31-08-2009 03:48 PM

Advice needed, glasshouse or polytunnel

"kerrygirl" wrote
,

I'm new to gardenbanter.

Actually it's a newsgroup called uk.rec.gardening that Gardenbanter include
on their web site.

I have started a new step in gardening, I grew
seeds for the first time this summer. I have been trying to educate
myself on glasshouses and polytunnels but I'm still not sure, at the
moment I can't afford a glasshouse. A lot of the seed packets say '
protect from frost ' would a polytunnel protect my seeds during winter
or is it used for spring growing. Advice very much appreciated. I live
in Ireland.

Provided it was kept frost free then either would do, just watch the cold
condensation off the glass/plastic doesn't drip on the plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dave Hill 31-08-2009 05:53 PM

Advice needed, glasshouse or polytunnel

On 31 Aug, 15:48, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"kerrygirl" *wrote
,

I'm new to gardenbanter.

Actually it's a newsgroup called uk.rec.gardening that Gardenbanter include
on their web site.

I have started a new step in gardening, I grew
seeds for the first time this summer. I have been trying to educate
myself on glasshouses and polytunnels but I'm still not sure, at the
moment I can't afford a glasshouse. A lot of the seed packets say '
protect from frost ' would a polytunnel protect my seeds during winter
or is it used for spring growing. Advice very much appreciated. I live
in Ireland.

Provided it was kept frost free then either would do, just watch the cold
condensation off the glass/plastic doesn't drip on the plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Check your local paper/ free paper, you will often see glasshouse/
greenhouse free to a good home,
You could even put in an advert asking for a greenhouse.
Worth trying
David Hill

kerrygirl 01-09-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 863282)
"kerrygirl" wrote
,

I'm new to gardenbanter.

Actually it's a newsgroup called uk.rec.gardening that Gardenbanter include
on their web site.

I have started a new step in gardening, I grew
seeds for the first time this summer. I have been trying to educate
myself on glasshouses and polytunnels but I'm still not sure, at the
moment I can't afford a glasshouse. A lot of the seed packets say '
protect from frost ' would a polytunnel protect my seeds during winter
or is it used for spring growing. Advice very much appreciated. I live
in Ireland.

Provided it was kept frost free then either would do, just watch the cold
condensation off the glass/plastic doesn't drip on the plants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Hi Bob,
What do you suggest I should do, put up some kind of cover over plants during frost. Thank you for replying.

kerrygirl 01-09-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 863293)
[...]

Hi David,
Thanks for replying. I actually put in an advert yesterday but am I fooling myself when it won't be heated, like I said I am just learning.

Donwill[_2_] 03-09-2009 08:07 AM

kerrygirl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardenbanter. I have started a new step in gardening, I grew
seeds for the first time this summer. I have been trying to educate
myself on glasshouses and polytunnels but I'm still not sure, at the
moment I can't afford a glasshouse. A lot of the seed packets say '
protect from frost ' would a polytunnel protect my seeds during winter
or is it used for spring growing. Advice very much appreciated. I live
in Ireland.

kerrygirl.

The problem with polythene is that it's transparent to long wave(LW) IR
radiation so you don't get the "glasshouse effect" which entraps the
LWIRR within the glasshouse. AFAIAA (old age& poor memory :-( ) when
polythene was first applied to horticulture in the early 50s a simple
experiment at the NIAE which was to set up 3 cold frames one with glass,
one with polythene and one without any cover, I think the crop was
lettuce.They found that on some clear nights when the air temperature
above the crop was warmer than the ground temperature there was frost
observed on the polythene covered lettuce but none on the glass covered,
and none on the uncovered, the last observation was due to the relativly
warm air flowing into the cold frame.
So in certain circumstances it can be colder under polythene than
outside. However it may be that modern polytunnels are covered by
polythene which has been treated in some way to reduce the LWIR back
radiation, I don't know the answer, perhaps some one more knowlegable
than myself can answer that one.
Polytunnels are very good at stopping cold drying winds from damaging
a crop as are glasshouses of course.
Hope that helps
Regards
Don

--
Bold is Brown with the People's Purse.

kerrygirl 06-09-2009 02:29 PM

Hello Don,

Thank you for the detailed info. I will check todays tunnels, what they have to offer in that line. It is great to have some information, I have learned something new. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donwill[_2_] (Post 863495)