GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187048-sambucus-nigra-black-lace.html)

Shirleyp 05-09-2009 03:19 PM

Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace"

I want to put a Sambucus Black Lace behind a seat, we had a small "Frisia" tree there but it became deseased.

We like the Black Lace but would we be able to train this into a small tree. on a shed beside where we want it we have a Clotted Cream Jasmin and I think the contrasting colour of the Black lace would look lovely, but my husband is a bit unsure as to how much we would be able to manipulate the Sambucus.

Regards

Shirley
Cambridge

Shirleyp 06-09-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Baraclough (Post 863685)
The message
from Shirleyp
contains these words:

I want to put a Sambucus Black Lace behind a seat, we had a small
"Frisia" tree there but it became deseased.

We like the Black Lace but would we be able to train this into a small
tree. on a shed beside where we want it we have a Clotted Cream Jasmin
and I think the contrasting colour of the Black lace would look lovely,
but my husband is a bit unsure as to how much we would be able to
manipulate the Sambucus.

I love that plant . If you mean to make a tree with a single bare
trunk; I doubt you will succeed.
It is extremely energetic, and in my garden (rich soil) will throw up
multiple 6 to 8ft stems from ground level in a single season.
The more you hack it back the faster it retaliates. So it makes a
good screen if that would fit behind your seat.
I cut mine down hard every autumn to a framework about 2 ft tall. Easy
to propagate from cuttings stuck in the ground and they always sell
out at plant sales.

I am growing jasmine Clotted Cream too, but as a freestanding
"shrub" rather then climbing; ; takes a fair amount of pruning to keep
the shape but flowers well.

Janet.

Thank-you Janet for the info on the Sambucus, I think we will have to think again on this one, I really like the Sambucus but I do think it will be too big for the Position we want it in.

Shirley

Janet Tweedy 07-09-2009 02:13 AM

Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace"

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
I am growing jasmine Clotted Cream too, but as a freestanding
"shrub" rather then climbing; ; takes a fair amount of pruning to keep
the shape but flowers well.

Janet.

Janet how do you prune your jasmine and avoid obliterating next year's
flowers? i have never quite mastered the technique!
i have officinale, a variegated one and stephanese

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy 07-09-2009 12:24 PM

Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace"

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

cruelly pruned with a hedge trimmer,
every year.

Janet.

When? Autumn /wintr? presumably so as that would leave time for it to
grow and flower next year. The white one is officnale but sulks like
anything if I try and prune it:)