GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   no flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187073-no-flowers.html)

solaara 06-09-2009 05:37 PM

no flowers

I planted daffs 4 yrs ago..They flowered the first year and nothing since.. I have them in compost in a tub..We have chalk soil and the ones in the ground seem to do alright...Will bonemeal help or will I have to put them in the ground..My daughter planted some in tubs last year and only a few flowered..Also, what depth should they be planted?

Bud 06-09-2009 11:37 PM

no flowers

solaara wrote:

I planted daffs 4 yrs ago..They flowered the first year and nothing
since.. I have them in compost in a tub..We have chalk soil and the ones
in the ground seem to do alright...Will bonemeal help or will I have to
put them in the ground..My daughter planted some in tubs last year and
only a few flowered..Also, what depth should they be planted?

Plant twice the size of the bulb. Bone meal takes a long time to do its
stuff. Ever dig them up and separate them?
--
signature goes here

Pam Moore[_2_] 07-09-2009 10:47 AM

no flowers

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:37:31 +0100, solaara
wrote:

I planted daffs 4 yrs ago..They flowered the first year and nothing
since.. I have them in compost in a tub..We have chalk soil and the
ones in the ground seem to do alright...Will bonemeal help or will I
have to put them in the ground..My daughter planted some in tubs last
year and only a few flowered..Also, what depth should they be planted?

Have you dug down and investigated the bulbs in the last year or so?
In pots, unless you feed them very well, they seem to shrink and die
off after a couple of years. You may no longer have bulbs of
flowering size.
In my experience they do well in tubs for one or two years, then I put
them in the garden and put new ones in the tubs/pots. Some sort of
feeding IS necessary.

Pam in Bristol

solaara 07-09-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] (Post 863822)

I will do as you say and investigate them..I thought that you just put them in a tub and left them...What an ass!!!!!!!

Sacha[_4_] 07-09-2009 09:56 PM

no flowers

On 2009-09-07 17:15:01 +0100, solaara
said:

'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
;863822']On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:37:31 +0100, solaara
wrote:
-

[...]

And of course, squirrels might be contributors to the problem if you
have no bulbs left - or mice.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com