Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered User

Default Can anyone help me identify this plant? Need help ASAP!

My dog has been eating the berries from this plant & I don't know what it is so I don't know if they are poisonous. Please, any help would be appreciated!

Here are some photos, sorry for the poor quality:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.07.jpg - Berries
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.18.jpg - Leaf
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.28.jpg - Leaf again

The berries grow on green stalks that have small thorns on them (really small), they are black on the outside but red inside.
The leaves are about the size of an average hand & are waxy on the top.
It is a bush.

Thankyou in advance.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Registered User

Sorry I cant help with identification of the plant but I hope your dog is ok, poisoning could show as:

Drinking excessively
Vomiting
Quivering, muscle twitching or fitting
Increased or irregular heart rate
Temperature extremes
Excessive panting
Restlessness

But different poisons cause different parts of the body to be affected so if your dog starts acting in any way to give you concern phone your vet, poisoning is a veterinary emergency. If you do have to call the vet and you can move your dog, take the berries and leaves with you.

For future, it is safer to train your dogs not to eat anything not handed to them or put in their bowl.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gemmy
writes

http://tinyurl.com/ldj2hv - Berries
http://tinyurl.com/letrsg - Leaf
http://tinyurl.com/nebxvo - Leaf again

The berries grow on green stalks that have small thorns on them (really
small), they are black on the outside but red inside.
The leaves are about the size of an average hand & are waxy on the top.

It is a bush.

Thankyou in advance.

I hesitate to advise on such a potentially serious matter, but I would
suspect Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), except that I hadn't
noticed any thorns on the stalks, and am unaware of the colour of the
interior of fruits.

Cherry Laurel is poisonous.

http://www.provet.co.uk/lorgue/5a7b75b.htm

The toxic principle is amygdalin (as in bitter almonds), which is a
cyanogenic glucoside - when the plant is crushed cyanide is released.
The most poisonous part of the plant is the seed, but unless the seed is
crushed it passes through the digestive tract intact and the cyanide is
not released.

I would expect that remainder of the fruits are innocuous (they look is
if they're adapted for seed distribution by birds, and birds are just as
susceptible to cyanide as are mammals), but the leaves contain enough
amygdalin to be potentially dangerous (200g is sufficient to kill a
sheep)..

As your dog is still alive, if it is Cherry Laurel, it would seem it
didn't consume enough to be a problem (I expect that dogs are less
likely to crush the seeds than humans, or sheep, are), but presumably
your vet can advise. If I understand correctly, for low doses of the
poison, you can expect to make a full recovery. I'd guess that you'd
still want to stop your dog from eating the berries.
--
Gemmy

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gemmy" wrote in message

My dog has been eating the berries from this plant & I don't know what
it is so I don't know if they are poisonous. Please, any help would be
appreciated!

Here are some photos, sorry for the poor quality:

http://tinyurl.com/ldj2hv - Berries
http://tinyurl.com/letrsg - Leaf
http://tinyurl.com/nebxvo - Leaf again

The berries grow on green stalks that have small thorns on them (really
small), they are black on the outside but red inside.
The leaves are about the size of an average hand & are waxy on the top.

It is a bush.

Thankyou in advance.

Could be cherryl laurel
http://www.horsedata.co.uk/images/Pl...y%20Laurel.jpg
If this is the correct identification, the berries are edible although the
rest of the plant is poisonous (Wikipedia). I think the seeds within the
berries may be slightly poisonous too so check it out further.
Hope your doggy is OK
R.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi all - Newbie here - Can anyone help identify this plant please?

I was given this about 18 months ago, it was poorly when I got it and I
was told it was a Bird of Paradise.

It's a Maranta of some variety. Often known as the Prayer Plant (watch the
leaves through the day!).

I always found them robust and fast growing.

Al.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
My dog has been eating the berries from this plant & I don't know what it is so I don't know if they are poisonous. Please, any help would be appreciated!

Here are some photos, sorry for the poor quality:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.07.jpg - Berries
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.18.jpg - Leaf
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.28.jpg - Leaf again

The berries grow on green stalks that have small thorns on them (really small), they are black on the outside but red inside.
The leaves are about the size of an average hand & are waxy on the top.
It is a bush.

Thankyou in advance.
Hi, Gemmy, The plant is common laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) I know that the leaves contain cyanide and if crushed and placed in a sealed container will kill butterflies and moths quite quickly, as for the fruit, I am just not sure wether or not they would be poisonous but I would suggest that you talk to a vet very quickly.
Regards Lannerman.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Gemmy" wrote in message

[...]

The seeds within the berries (when crushed) are the most poisonous part
of cherry laurel. It may that, like apple pips, it's hard to eat enough
to be dangerous, but I wouldn't take the risk with cherry laurel.

Hope your doggy is OK
R.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Sep, 09:44, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Ragnar
writes

"Gemmy" wrote in message

[...]

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

A picture of the bush and or a stem would help.
david Hill
Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Sep, 09:31, Al wrote:
I was given this about 18 months ago, it was poorly when I got it and I
was told it was a Bird of Paradise.

It's a Maranta of some variety. Often known as the Prayer Plant (watch the
leaves through the day!).

I always found them robust and fast growing.

Al.

I was wondering about something like a Ginger Lily
David Hill
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi, Gemmy, The plant is common laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) I know that the leaves contain cyanide and if crushed and placed in a sealed container will kill butterflies and moths quite quickly, as for the fruit, I am just not sure wether or not they would be poisonous but I would suggest that you talk to a vet very quickly.
Regards Lannerman.
The berries of P laurocerasus are not poisonous.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Littlemiss" wrote

Hi everyone,
Thought I would post and see if anyone can identify the plant that is
taking over my kitchen window....

I was given this about 18 months ago, it was poorly when I got it and I
was told it was a Bird of Paradise. It has not flowered but had a
(single sort of fan shaped) dead flower head on it which I removed. I
also re-potted it so under the impression it was a BOP I did not expect
it to flower again for some time.

Its thriving on the sill and I dont want to upset it but I need to know
more about it before I decide where to put it. Its about 2ft high from
pot and the same if not more wide, again assuming it was a BOP I've
kept it pretty pot bound in a 16" pot.

I'm in Scotland so its inside year round (I take it out on good days
but it got bugs the last time!)

Thanks in advance

[image:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u.../100_0427.jpg]
Plant
[image:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u.../100_0424.jpg]
Stalks
[image:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u.../100_0425.jpg]
Top of leaves
[image:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u.../100_0426.jpg]
Underside, purple.

I think that may be Calathea lancifolia.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

lannerman;863809 Wrote:
Hi, Gemmy, The plant is common laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) I know that
the leaves contain cyanide and if crushed and placed in a sealed
container will kill butterflies and moths quite quickly, as for the
fruit, I am just not sure wether or not they would be poisonous but I
would suggest that you talk to a vet very quickly.
Regards Lannerman.

The berries of P laurocerasus are not poisonous.

To humans? I wouldn't eat them and would be concerned if my dog did, tbh.