Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans now finished...

I read that for broad beans you should dig the roots into the ground
(something about nitrogen?). Does this apply to runner beans too?

TIA

Paul
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Paul wrote:
I read that for broad beans you should dig the roots into the ground
(something about nitrogen?). Does this apply to runner beans too?

Yup, except that they tend to be very lumpy. But it doesn't do any
harm if you compost them - what goes around, comes around.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Paul writes
I read that for broad beans you should dig the roots into the ground
(something about nitrogen?). Does this apply to runner beans too?

All sorts of peas and beans. Things in that family are able to 'fix'
nitrogen via nodules on their roots, therefore the roots are full of
nitrogen, therefore worth digging in to improve the soil. Clover is in
the same family, but I'd be worried about digging that in in case of
getting overrun by it.
--
Kay
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" wrote...
I read that for broad beans you should dig the roots into the ground
(something about nitrogen?). Does this apply to runner beans too?

The problem with Runner Beans is that the roots are large and woody so don't
break up easily, and as they are also perennial they will regrow from the
roots after a mild winter. Been there done that.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Paul" wrote...
I read that for broad beans you should dig the roots into the ground
(something about nitrogen?). Does this apply to runner beans too?

The problem with Runner Beans is that the roots are large and woody so don't
break up easily, and as they are also perennial they will regrow from the
roots after a mild winter. Been there done that.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London
Paul may be interested to know that my runner beans are now producing a second crop. I grow them in large buckets and 3 weeks ago I cut them down to about 3ft. They are producing flowers and beans and are nearly to the top of the canes again.

Regards shirley ......