GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   In with the worms.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187142-worms.html)

R[_5_] 11-09-2009 06:35 AM

In with the worms....

into the compost that is.

1000 litre "Carboy" (plastic with the top cut off) 3/4 full of garden waste,
waste kitchen greenery, soil and horse poo. No normal route of escape other
than birds.

250 worms added about 10" from the top yesterday. (£7 delivered)

Now lets see what results are produced in a months time....

Didn't have them last year and fairly good mulch/fertiliser was produced
although it took 2 years from scratch so perhaps the voracious critters will
munch more down for me to use end of this year on the veg patch.

Not quite a "Wormery" but more like a Worm Playground.

Bob Hobden 11-09-2009 08:09 AM

In with the worms....

"R" wrote ...
into the compost that is.

1000 litre "Carboy" (plastic with the top cut off) 3/4 full of garden
waste, waste kitchen greenery, soil and horse poo. No normal route of
escape other than birds.

250 worms added about 10" from the top yesterday. (£7 delivered)

Now lets see what results are produced in a months time....

Didn't have them last year and fairly good mulch/fertiliser was produced
although it took 2 years from scratch so perhaps the voracious critters
will munch more down for me to use end of this year on the veg patch.

Not quite a "Wormery" but more like a Worm Playground.

I do hope you have some way to drain off all the lovely liquid (fertilizer)
that will be produced or it will get too wet for the worms.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

R[_5_] 11-09-2009 05:45 PM

In with the worms....

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"R" wrote ...
into the compost that is.

1000 litre "Carboy" (plastic with the top cut off) 3/4 full of garden
waste, waste kitchen greenery, soil and horse poo. No normal route of
escape other than birds.

250 worms added about 10" from the top yesterday. (£7 delivered)

Now lets see what results are produced in a months time....

Didn't have them last year and fairly good mulch/fertiliser was produced
although it took 2 years from scratch so perhaps the voracious critters
will munch more down for me to use end of this year on the veg patch.

Not quite a "Wormery" but more like a Worm Playground.

I do hope you have some way to drain off all the lovely liquid
(fertilizer) that will be produced or it will get too wet for the worms.

Has a built in half turn tap at the bottom so I have dug a small trench to
allow a jug under to retrieve the liquid gold.

We'll see what happens in a few days time