GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What can I plant now? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187148-what-can-i-plant-now.html)

alan.holmes 11-09-2009 12:25 PM

What can I plant now?

Having cleared some ground, is there anything which I can plant now?

Are there any seeds which will germinate at this time of year and be ready
for Xmas or the spring?

Alan

Stewart Robert Hinsley 11-09-2009 05:07 PM

What can I plant now?

In message , alan.holmes
writes

Having cleared some ground, is there anything which I can plant now?

Are there any seeds which will germinate at this time of year and be ready
for Xmas or the spring?

Alan

It's still within the sowing season for rapid-maturing crops like radish
(I put down another short row yesterday). It's also the time for
planting spring cabbages (spring onions as well?), and it's too early
for broad beans and garlic.

You can plant green manures like winter rye, winter tare, and mustard.

Among flowering plants, you might get away with sowing some biennials
(e.g. honesty) now. Ditto some of the Mediterranean winter annuals (e.g.
crown daisy.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley