GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First year rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187193-first-year-rhubarb.html)

Paul 14-09-2009 10:13 AM

First year rhubarb

I understand it's best not to pull the first year's crop - do I let
the leaves and stalks just wither and rot back into the ground, or
should I remove them when they start to go over?

TIA

Paul

Bertie Doe 15-09-2009 11:15 AM

First year rhubarb

"Paul" wrote in message
I understand it's best not to pull the first year's
crop - do I let
the leaves and stalks just wither and rot back into
the ground, or
should I remove them when they start to go over?

Yes let them wither and rot back. Every 3 years, you
can (during Winter) split the crown in half and form
two plants. Over the years I've managed to produce
about 12 crowns, which form a double row across the
allotment.
I take stalks from late Spring thru to mid August. I
always leave about 3 stalks on each crown - to wither
and rot.