GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I need help to grow some culinary herbs in water crystals (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187274-i-need-help-grow-some-culinary-herbs-water-crystals.html)

tjrundy 18-09-2009 06:14 AM

I need help to grow some culinary herbs in water crystals

Hello,

I have a contemporary flat, and I'd like to try growing some culinary herbs in water crystals (http://www.watercrystals.com/soillessplants.htm) or an equivalent without soil.

Do anyone have any experience of this?

Is it possible to grow plants from seed this way? If I have a clear vase, will the seeds become confused by 'clear' soil?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Derek Turner 18-09-2009 10:58 AM

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 06:14:55 +0100, tjrundy wrote:

Is it possible to grow plants from seed this way? If I have a clear
vase, will the seeds become confused by 'clear' soil?

IANAE but I suspect that geotropism will triumph over phototropism where
the roots are concerned. Why not just try it? A packet of seed is cheap
enough!

Ophelia[_4_] 18-09-2009 11:17 AM

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 06:14:55 +0100, tjrundy wrote:

Is it possible to grow plants from seed this way? If I have a clear
vase, will the seeds become confused by 'clear' soil?

IANAE but I suspect that geotropism will triumph over phototropism where
the roots are concerned. Why not just try it? A packet of seed is cheap
enough!

Search for Hydroponics on line. There is a load of info on the subject:)