GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cannas from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187386-cannas-seed.html)

mark 22-09-2009 09:58 PM

Cannas from seed

My canna plants have developed some nice fat seed pods.

Do cannas grow well from seed or does it take years for them to get going as
with say daffodil seeds etc. I appreciate the normal way is by splitting up
a clump.

mark

Dave Hill 22-09-2009 10:51 PM

Cannas from seed

On 22 Sep, 21:58, "mark" wrote:
My canna plants *have developed some nice fat seed pods.

Do cannas grow well from seed or does it take years for them to get going as
with say daffodil seeds etc. I appreciate the normal way is by splitting up
a clump.

mark

Some will flower first year, most will flower 2nd year, quite easy.
david Hill

DaveP 23-09-2009 09:32 AM

Cannas from seed

On Sep 22, 10:51*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

Some will flower first year, most will flower 2nd year, quite easy.

Very much so. Wait until Feb/early March and put all of the seeds in
a shallow container and pour water that has just gone off the boil
over them. When the crackling, hissing or popping has subsided (this
is caused by the heat forcing the very hard layers of the seed coat
apart) top up with tepid water and leave the seeds to continue soaking
overnight. Drain off the following day and sow just below the surface
in a sterilised, multi-purpose compost.

At around 25C, germination will take 24 - 72 hours with a few
lingerers popping up over the next few days. Pot the seedlings up when
the first leaf is fully formed and grow on in full light. First
flowers often appear in June if the plants are grown in a greenhouse.
If placed outside when frosts have passed, expect flowers in July or
August. Flower quality and colour takes a year or so to develop fully
so you'll only get a hint of what is to follow in future years.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-09-2009 12:39 PM

Cannas from seed

In article ,
says...
My canna plants have developed some nice fat seed pods.

Do cannas grow well from seed or does it take years for them to get going as
with say daffodil seeds etc. I appreciate the normal way is by splitting up
a clump.

mark

They are very easy, just wait till next spring early, the light levels
will be improving.
Put the seed in a glass and pour boiling water over them and leave to
stand for 24 hours then sow in a warm place
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

mark 24-09-2009 08:57 AM

Cannas from seed

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
My canna plants have developed some nice fat seed pods.

Do cannas grow well from seed or does it take years for them to get going
as
with say daffodil seeds etc. I appreciate the normal way is by splitting
up
a clump.

mark

Thanks for the replies. I'm encouraged to go from seed. Last year I was
given a congested potfull which I split up into several plants and they all
flourished. I like them so can't have too many.

mark