GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anti-Shpyon watering from a Water Butt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187462-anti-shpyon-watering-water-butt.html)

Tim Jenkins 25-09-2009 09:33 PM

Anti-Shpyon watering from a Water Butt

Hi,

I have fitted a pump to our water butt and hooked it up to a micro
irrigation system. However when the pump is turned off, the first dripper
keeps on flowing due to the syphone effect I guess.

Are there any ways to easily fix this ?

Found this on the web which looks the same problem as me, but doesn't
specify the solution.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/water-butt-pump.asp

"...it has no anti-syphon protection so if you use a standard watering kit
with this, it will syphon your tank dry overnight unless you put in an
air-stop hole with a bit of watering tube..."

Cheers,
Tim.

George.com 26-09-2009 08:57 AM

"Tim Jenkins" wrote in message
Hi,

I have fitted a pump to our water butt and hooked it up to a micro
irrigation system. However when the pump is turned off, the first dripper
keeps on flowing due to the syphone effect I guess.

Are there any ways to easily fix this ?

Found this on the web which looks the same problem as me, but doesn't
specify the solution.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/water-butt-pump.asp

"...it has no anti-syphon protection so if you use a standard watering kit
with this, it will syphon your tank dry overnight unless you put in an
air-stop hole with a bit of watering tube..."

Cheers,
Tim.

I have rigged up a 1000L tank to take water off the garage roof. It sits on
3 wooden pallets. I discovered I have enough height to run water over 6
metres and up a foot or more in to my raised garden beds to water them. All
done with gravity.

rob

shazzbat 26-09-2009 11:52 AM

Anti-Shpyon watering from a Water Butt

"Tim Jenkins" wrote in message
Hi,

I have fitted a pump to our water butt and hooked it up to a micro
irrigation system. However when the pump is turned off, the first dripper
keeps on flowing due to the syphone effect I guess.

Are there any ways to easily fix this ?

Found this on the web which looks the same problem as me, but doesn't
specify the solution.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/water-butt-pump.asp

"...it has no anti-syphon protection so if you use a standard watering kit
with this, it will syphon your tank dry overnight unless you put in an
air-stop hole with a bit of watering tube..."

put in an
air-stop hole with a bit of watering tube..."

Is the solution.

Steve

keith kent 26-09-2009 04:09 PM

Anti-Shpyon watering from a Water Butt

Create the air stop hole by looping the pipe up above the water butts water
line and down again ,this creating the air gap .

Regards Keith