Old 26-09-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is a runner bean a runner bean

I had about a dozen plants I planted in May, came from two sources.
Around 90% of my harvest has been soft and juicy as a runner bean
should be.. The odd one seems to be fat and bulbous and after cooking
I get the odd mouthful of completely undigestible runner bean which I
have to spit out. It's so horrid it's almost putting me off the rest
of the beans, not the taste, the thought.

What's going on?
Old 26-09-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lloyd wrote:
I had about a dozen plants I planted in May, came from two sources.
Around 90% of my harvest has been soft and juicy as a runner bean
should be.. The odd one seems to be fat and bulbous and after cooking
I get the odd mouthful of completely undigestible runner bean which I
have to spit out. It's so horrid it's almost putting me off the rest
of the beans, not the taste, the thought.

What's going on?

That's been left too long, and is ripening. You may have missed it
or not picks it because it was small. When that happened, just
chuck those beans on the compost heap.

If you are away and have a lot of them, you can pod them and cook
the unripe beans like flageolet beans. Or you can let all of the
beans ripen, and use the dried beans over the winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lloyd wrote:

That's been left too long, and is ripening. You may have missed it
or not picks it because it was small. When that happened, just
chuck those beans on the compost heap.

The fatties you mean?

That simple eh

Yes.

If you are away and have a lot of them, you can pod them and cook
the unripe beans like flageolet beans. Or you can let all of the
beans ripen, and use the dried beans over the winter.

I'm not that organised I'm afraid. I thought I could just parboil them
and freeze them somehow, or is that incorrect?

You are too disorganised to not get them picked when you go away!
I am impressed ....

Once they have started to swell, forget about using them as green
beans. No matter what you do, they will be stringy and tough.
Using them as dried beans requires almost no organisation, more
than picking sometime after the pods have gone leathery and before
they have fallen off the vine, split open or rotted. You usually
have a month or so :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
I had about a dozen plants I planted in May, came from two sources.
Around 90% of my harvest has been soft and juicy as a runner bean
should be.. The odd one seems to be fat and bulbous and after cooking
I get the odd mouthful of completely undigestible runner bean which I
have to spit out. It's so horrid it's almost putting me off the rest
of the beans, not the taste, the thought.

What's going on?

Why are they called RUNNER beans anyway?
R.

Old 28-09-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ragnar writes

Why are they called RUNNER beans anyway?

Because they have runners - ie long wiggly shoots that scramble over
everything (though usually 'runners' are capable of rooting, as in
strawberry runners).

Or because eating too many gives you the runs.
--
Kay

Old 28-09-2009, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Ragnar writes

Why are they called RUNNER beans anyway?

Because they have runners - ie long wiggly shoots that scramble over
everything (though usually 'runners' are capable of rooting, as in
strawberry runners).

Or because eating too many gives you the runs.

Well, as I have half a freezer full, perhaps I should buy shares in Andrex

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 28-09-2009, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
I had about a dozen plants I planted in May, came from two sources.
Around 90% of my harvest has been soft and juicy as a runner bean
should be.. The odd one seems to be fat and bulbous and after cooking
I get the odd mouthful of completely undigestible runner bean which I
have to spit out. It's so horrid it's almost putting me off the rest
of the beans, not the taste, the thought.

What's going on?

You simply left it too long to pick those.