GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187501-plant-id-please.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-09-2009 01:02 PM

plant ID please

Marginal water plant, with spikes of blue flowers. I think that it's a
monocot, and perhaps an aroid. Probably cultivated (and doesn't
immediately look like anything native).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3961638427/

I was also going to ask you about the previous plant on my photostream,
but in the nick of time I realised that it was Hypericum humifusum - a
very different habit to other St. John's Worts.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

[email protected] 28-09-2009 01:54 PM

plant ID please

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Marginal water plant, with spikes of blue flowers. I think that it's a
monocot, and perhaps an aroid. Probably cultivated (and doesn't
immediately look like anything native).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3961638427/

An Eichhornia?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_4_] 28-09-2009 02:02 PM

plant ID please

On 2009-09-28 13:02:44 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

Marginal water plant, with spikes of blue flowers. I think that it's a
monocot, and perhaps an aroid. Probably cultivated (and doesn't
immediately look like anything native).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3961638427/

Thalia dealbata, perhaps?
snip

--
Sacha

Bob Hobden 28-09-2009 03:11 PM

plant ID please

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Marginal water plant, with spikes of blue flowers. I think that it's a
monocot, and perhaps an aroid. Probably cultivated (and doesn't
immediately look like anything native).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3961638427/

I was also going to ask you about the previous plant on my photostream,
but in the nick of time I realised that it was Hypericum humifusum - a
very different habit to other St. John's Worts.

Looks like Pontederia cordata to me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-09-2009 03:51 PM

plant ID please

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Marginal water plant, with spikes of blue flowers. I think that it's a
monocot, and perhaps an aroid. Probably cultivated (and doesn't
immediately look like anything native).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3961638427/

I was also going to ask you about the previous plant on my photostream,
but in the nick of time I realised that it was Hypericum humifusum - a
very different habit to other St. John's Worts.

Looks like Pontederia cordata to me.

Thanks (to all). That's it. I thought it looked vaguely familiar, but I
didn't know where to start looking.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Gibson 18-06-2010 02:35 PM

Pontederia cordata indeed. A lovely thing, although can get a little too vigorous for smaller ponds. It's not a British native (it's widespread throughout the temperate Americas) but rather a pond-plant escapee that's been slowly increasing in the British countryside for the last 50 years or so.