Old 27-04-2003, 09:56 PM
geoff

Default . . .close pattern gardern trellises.

Jim,

Do it yourself, it doesn't take long, it's stronger, longer lasting and it's
less than a third of the price in garden centres etc.

Assume you use 19 X 38 mm pretreated batten and that the holes between it
are 75 mm square (3 inches sq).

Each "unit" of trellis is therefore 75 + 38 = 113mm.

You want trellis to be 600 mm X 1800 mm i.e 600/113 X 1800/113 "units" which
is about 5.3 by 15.9 units

Now, Let's say the trellis is 5 units by 16 units + 38 mm both ways i.e.
603 mm = 23.7 inches by 72.7 inches. Not the 2 by 6 feet you wanted, but
close enough I would think..

So how is it made?

1. Cut 8 pieces of batten 75 mm long - spacers the size of the "holes".
Try to get them all the same length even if only close to 75 mm..

2. Place 6 lengths of batten (as long as they come?) on the ground and
place 6 spacers between each at one end of the lengths. Try to ensure no
gaps and that the ends are level with each other. Lay the lengths
approximately parallel

4. Measure the height of what is to become the first piece of trellis at
the spacers. It should be 603 mm as explained but the tolerance on the
batten and your spacers . . . . .

5. Cut a piece of batten at the length measured in 4 (603 mm?)

6. Using 40 mm galvanised flat headed nails, fix the 603 mm batten to the
long lengths of batten. (At the spaced end of course!) Ensure that the
vertical and horizontals are near perpendicular to each other. BEWARE the
nails will protrude slightly on the other side of the trellis. If you
really want to go to town, use longer nails and clinch them over when you've
made the trellis.

7. Transfer the spacers to the approx length of trellis. If horizontals
are bent, make the distance less to start with and straighten them up later
(Brute force!). Nail some batten to the top and bottom rails of the
trellis to ensure spacers remain in place. A couple of concrete building
blocks instead will also prevent movement.

8. Cut more 603 mm (?) batten to complete the length required.

9. Use the three spacers to position the next vertical from the fixed
batten and nail as before.

10 If the length required has not been reached repeat 9!

10. Move spacers along length as required.

Continue ad infinitum if needed and possible!

I made 7 metres of trellis with 15 mm holes and 9 units high in one morning.
I need a plastic kneeler to help me too. If anybody decides to use tall
trellis as a fence (I've made over thirty metres of it and some of the
support posts are 3 metres apart.) it is adviseable to put a length of
gravel board (that comes treated too) along the bottom to support the
trellis. It is possible to use up odd bits of batten by having them butted
together at a horizontal. It will not be noticed.

Lastly, painting the trellis is a bind and I found that puting the batten on
the gravel board enabled me to paint severel strips in one go plus most ot
the gravel board but it meant I had to wait for the Cuprinol to dry before I
could make any trellis. So what?!

Regards

Geoff

Old 27-04-2003, 10:08 PM
geoff

I made 7 metres of trellis with 15 mm holes and 9 units high in one

morning.

!!!!!!!! 150 mm holes I should have writ. !!!!!!!

Geoff

P.S. You can also do reverse calculations to get exact langths of trellis
but the "holes" will not be quite 75 mm square.