GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Honeysuckle? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187538-honeysuckle.html)

lloyd 30-09-2009 04:12 PM

Honeysuckle?

Hello all. Looking to pick your brains if I may.

I have a 6ftx12ft trellis which I want to cover with a nice simple
limited maintenance honeysuckle. I see there are many varieties and
thought maybe I could go for one of each type of thing?

I also considered clematis but it seems a lot of effort for a very
short flowering, think my little one only last a week but it is
crammed in a corner next to the toms.

Where would the cheapest option be to buy them online for planting
now?

thanks.

Sacha[_4_] 30-09-2009 06:48 PM

Honeysuckle?

On 2009-09-30 16:12:06 +0100, lloyd said:

Hello all. Looking to pick your brains if I may.

I have a 6ftx12ft trellis which I want to cover with a nice simple
limited maintenance honeysuckle. I see there are many varieties and
thought maybe I could go for one of each type of thing?

I also considered clematis but it seems a lot of effort for a very
short flowering, think my little one only last a week but it is
crammed in a corner next to the toms.

Where would the cheapest option be to buy them online for planting
now?

thanks.

Do you want something evergreen and where do you live? One honeysuckle
(Lonicera) should be more than enough to do that job and Lonicera
similis delavayi is evergreen in warmer parts of UK. As to cheapest,
you need to shop around on Google or locally.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

lloyd 30-09-2009 09:14 PM

Honeysuckle?

On 2009-09-30 16:12:06 +0100, lloyd said:

Hello all. Looking to pick your brains if I may.

I have a 6ftx12ft trellis which I want to cover with a nice simple
limited maintenance honeysuckle. I see there are many varieties and
thought maybe I could go for one of each type of thing?

I also considered clematis but it seems a lot of effort for a very
short flowering, think my little one only last a week but it is
crammed in a corner next to the toms.

Where would the cheapest option be to buy them online for planting
now?

thanks.

Do you want something evergreen and where do you live? One honeysuckle
(Lonicera) should be more than enough to do that job and Lonicera
similis delavayi is evergreen in warmer parts of UK. As to cheapest,
you need to shop around on Google or locally.

Yes something there all the time would be nice. We live south lincs.

thanks

K 01-10-2009 10:50 AM

Honeysuckle?

lloyd writes
Hello all. Looking to pick your brains if I may.

I have a 6ftx12ft trellis which I want to cover with a nice simple
limited maintenance honeysuckle. I see there are many varieties and
thought maybe I could go for one of each type of thing?

I also considered clematis but it seems a lot of effort for a very
short flowering, think my little one only last a week but it is
crammed in a corner next to the toms.

Whatever you do, don't go for anything too vigorous. Clematis montana,
for example, would cover the trellis satisfyingly fast and then be a
total nightmare of cutting back thereafter.

If you're not worried about evergreen, my choice would be two
honeysuckles with good scent, one flowering early in the year and one
flowering in late summer. And with honeysuckles, you also get the
benefit of clusters of translucent red berries - very decorative, though
one doesn't usually think of honeysuckles for berries.

If you go for clematis, consider one of the alpina types which will
follow up its blue flowers in the spring with fluffy white seedheads.
--
Kay

lloyd 01-10-2009 01:14 PM

Honeysuckle?

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:50:38 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes
[...]

Think I'll give the clematis a miss. Garden centre was shut!! So I
stopped at the local bitsa yard that sells everything cheap..

Found some
Lonicera Henri honeysuckle
Californian Lilac
and a couple of Jasmine all at £1.80 each.

Think I'll stick the honeysuckle and jasmine on the trellis, what do
you think?

Gordon H[_3_] 01-10-2009 04:57 PM

Honeysuckle?

In message , lloyd
writes

Think I'll stick the honeysuckle and jasmine on the trellis, what do
you think?

I have had honeysuckle growing up trellis against my garage for some
years, I can't remember the variety, but it was chosen in memory of my
FIL, who was named Hector Arnold. :-)

I hacked it down to a 4" stump last year, because the garage was being
re-roofed, and later planted two more of a different variety.

Then the stumps sprouted, and I have a double growth, with different
coloured berries.

I have a bird box on the side of the garage, and blue tits nested there
when the honeysuckle foliage partly hid the box.
They were absent this year, before the foliage grew up again...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

beccabunga 01-10-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd (Post 866041)
[...]

Just check carefully what jasmine can do.