GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Swamp cypress (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187578-swamp-cypress.html)

Sacha[_4_] 03-10-2009 02:36 PM

Swamp cypress

Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

[email protected] 03-10-2009 02:46 PM

Swamp cypress

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

Not personally, but the ones I have seen weren't fast. At a wild
guess, comparable to Abies koreana - say, 6" a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_4_] 03-10-2009 03:19 PM

Swamp cypress

On 2009-10-03 14:46:52 +0100, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

Not personally, but the ones I have seen weren't fast. At a wild
guess, comparable to Abies koreana - say, 6" a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh dear - it's going to take a while to produce a 'grove', then! Thanks, Nick.

Donwill[_2_] 03-10-2009 08:35 PM

Swamp cypress

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

You've just reminded me, I planted a seedling on the banks of the river
Rheidol in Cwm Rheidol (Nr Aberystwyth) about 20 yrs ago.

I lived near by, but moved , I must go back to see if it's still there.

Don

Sacha[_4_] 03-10-2009 11:02 PM

Swamp cypress

On 2009-10-03 20:35:35 +0100, Donwill said:

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

You've just reminded me, I planted a seedling on the banks of the river
Rheidol in Cwm Rheidol (Nr Aberystwyth) about 20 yrs ago.

I lived near by, but moved , I must go back to see if it's still there.

Don

Well after this, I really do hope so. I gather they're not that common
over here!

K 04-10-2009 12:27 PM

Swamp cypress

Sacha writes
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

Not from a small tree, but from seed.

I would guess I planted the seed about 10 years ago, certainly not more
than 15. Tree is now about 7ft tall and about 3 ft across at widest.
It's reached that stage where I feel confident about its future and am
no longer waiting with trepidation each spring to see if it bursts into
leaf again.

I suspect it is one of these things which starts slow and then
accelerates.
--
Kay

K 04-10-2009 12:29 PM

Swamp cypress

Sacha writes
On 2009-10-03 20:35:35 +0100, Donwill said:

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm
interested to know how quickly they grow.

You've just reminded me, I planted a seedling on the banks of the
river Rheidol in Cwm Rheidol (Nr Aberystwyth) about 20 yrs ago.
I lived near by, but moved , I must go back to see if it's still
there.
Don

Well after this, I really do hope so. I gather they're not that common
over here!

Moving towards borderline of hardiness over here I'd have thought - ie
quite capable of tolerating our winters but happier somewhere a bit
warmer. Nice specimens IIRC in the botanical gardens in Lisbon, complete
with 'knees' - I don't expect mine to get that far.
--
Kay

Sacha[_4_] 04-10-2009 01:22 PM

Swamp cypress

Sacha writes
On 2009-10-03 20:35:35 +0100, Donwill said:

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.
You've just reminded me, I planted a seedling on the banks of the river
Rheidol in Cwm Rheidol (Nr Aberystwyth) about 20 yrs ago.
I lived near by, but moved , I must go back to see if it's still there.
Don

Well after this, I really do hope so. I gather they're not that common
over here!

Moving towards borderline of hardiness over here I'd have thought - ie
quite capable of tolerating our winters but happier somewhere a bit
warmer. Nice specimens IIRC in the botanical gardens in Lisbon,
complete with 'knees' - I don't expect mine to get that far.

There's a fully mature one at Coleton Fishacre which we saw last
Tuesday, hence my question. My son fell in love with it and he's no
gardener! However, he has a water meadow and I think some of these
growing there would look wonderful. As it's in Jersey, I think it
would probably be okay and would make a good Christmas present!

Sacha[_4_] 04-10-2009 01:23 PM

Swamp cypress

On 2009-10-04 12:27:10 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

Not from a small tree, but from seed.

I would guess I planted the seed about 10 years ago, certainly not more
than 15. Tree is now about 7ft tall and about 3 ft across at widest.
It's reached that stage where I feel confident about its future and am
no longer waiting with trepidation each spring to see if it bursts into
leaf again.

I suspect it is one of these things which starts slow and then accelerates.

Thanks, Kay. I think our supplier has them at around 3' tall. I
think/hope you're correct about the speed of growth accelerating as it
matures!

Sacha[_4_] 05-10-2009 10:36 PM

Swamp cypress

On 2009-10-05 21:05:00 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:36:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? I'm interested
to know how quickly they grow.

Adrian Bloom, 'Conifers for your Garden' says 4-6m in 10 yrs, ultimate
height 30-50m. They like damp or swampy conditions and don't flourish
if too much lime is present in the soil.

Well, he's young, there's no lime and a stream runs through the meadow,
so........... ;-) Thanks, Chris.
--
Sacha

Rod 16-10-2009 06:32 PM

Swamp cypress

Sacha writes

On 2009-10-03 20:35:35 +0100, Donwill said:

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone grown Taxodium distichum from a small tree? *I'm
interested *to know how quickly they grow.
You've just reminded me, I planted a seedling on the banks of the
river Rheidol in Cwm Rheidol (Nr Aberystwyth) about 20 yrs ago.
*I lived near by, but moved , *I must go back to see if it's still
there.
*Don

Well after this, I really do hope so. *I gather they're not that common
over here!

Moving towards borderline of hardiness over here I'd have thought - ie
quite capable of tolerating our winters but happier somewhere a bit
warmer. Nice specimens IIRC in the botanical gardens in Lisbon, complete
with 'knees' - I don't expect mine to get that far.
--
Kay

Slow to start and accelerating later accords with my experience of the
one I planted for my boss's 80th birthday some years ago- haven't seen
it for a couple of years so I can't tell you how big it is now.
As for hardiness - there's a fine specimen -knees an' all by the lake
in Nottingham's University Park. It was big in the 1960's and I don't
suppose it was planted much before the opening years of the 20th
century. That lake froze sufficiently for skating several times when I
was a kid.

Rod