Old 27-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Goodbye cherry tree, hello Clematis

The 15ft tall cherry tree I pruned a few years ago (and probably started its
decline) has been getting weaker and weaker, and this spring it has only
about 4 or 5 twigs with blossom on (its about 15ft across and about 15ft
high), so I went out and bought a montana that hopefully will cover it. Good
idea? Is one enough?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 28-04-2003, 12:08 AM
bnd777

I suspect your Cherry tree has Cherry Blossom blight ......we have just had
to have ours removed for this as otherwise it would have affected our
Flowering cherry and any other trees/shrubs in the cherry family

Old 28-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Paul England

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Tumbleweed"

writes:
| The 15ft tall cherry tree I pruned a few years ago (and probably

started its
| decline) has been getting weaker and weaker, and this spring it has

only
| about 4 or 5 twigs with blossom on (its about 15ft across and about

15ft
| high), so I went out and bought a montana that hopefully will cover it.

Good
| idea? Is one enough?

Masses. But, as I warned about a conifer earlier, a dead tree of
that size is likely to rot and fall down within a fairly few years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Shivver me timbers ! Yes I agree, the montana is v prolific. I planted one
last spring to cover a shed, it's now in flower and some of the branches
increased by 7 feet.
Pity the flowers don't last very long.

Paul

Old 28-04-2003, 08:44 PM
geoff

You forgot to add, "Hello honey" to your subject line. - Honey fungus of
course.

Geoff

Old 28-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Tumbleweed

"bnd777" wrote in message
I suspect your Cherry tree has Cherry Blossom blight ......we have just

had
to have ours removed for this as otherwise it would have affected our
Flowering cherry and any other trees/shrubs in the cherry family

How would I tell? There is another cherry a fair way away in the garden that
is doing fine and has lots of cherries each year for the birds to eat..

Old 30-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Tumbleweed

Got the first two but not the last two.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

"bnd777" wrote in message
Ours would flower but less and less
leaves got increasingly sparse
lots of twigs kept falling off
lots of lichen type growth on trunk and branches plus oozing from bark