GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fuchsia sport (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187731-fuchsia-sport.html)

Jim S 11-10-2009 08:24 PM

Fuchsia sport

I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Dave Hill 11-10-2009 09:40 PM

Fuchsia sport

On 11 Oct, 20:24, Jim S wrote:
I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK
* * *www.jimscott.co.uk

A picture's worth a thousand words.
Failing that sounds as if it is reverting to its origional type,
David Hill

Stewart Robert Hinsley 12-10-2009 08:45 AM

Fuchsia sport

In message , Jim S
writes
I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?

You might have 'Gracilis Tricolor'. This does in my experience tend to
vary, producing green shouts, or shoots without the pink tinge. But I
don't recall a variant with red-veined leaves. (Looking at my cuttings,
there's some red on the underside of the mid-rib.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Jim S 12-10-2009 11:51 AM

Fuchsia sport

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:40:18 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill wrote:

On 11 Oct, 20:24, Jim S wrote:
I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK
* * *www.jimscott.co.uk

A picture's worth a thousand words.
Failing that sounds as if it is reverting to its origional type,
David Hill

Here you go
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/fuchsia_1.jpg
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/fuchsia_3.jpg

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Dave Hill 12-10-2009 02:17 PM

Fuchsia sport

On 12 Oct, 13:24, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from Jim S contains these words:

On 11 Oct, 20:24, Jim S wrote:
I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?

* * Many variegated plants have that habit of *single stems reverting to
green.

* *Its usual *to *remove all-green *stems from a variegated plant as
soon as you notice them; they are stronger growing
*and left alone, will eventually take over .

* * Janet

It looks like F. Sunray to me, and what you have is a stem that has
reverted.
David Hill

Sacha[_4_] 12-10-2009 04:28 PM

Fuchsia sport

On 11 Oct, 20:24, Jim S wrote:
I have an unknown variegated fuchsia (leaves green centre, white margins
with pink tinge - red slender flower with magenta centre) It has thrown a
sport which has green leaves with red veins (cutting just coming into
flower)
Is this a known habit of a known variety or have I got something new?
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK
* * *www.jimscott.co.uk

A picture's worth a thousand words.
Failing that sounds as if it is reverting to its origional type,
David Hill

Here you go
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/fuchsia_1.jpg
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/fuchsia_3.jpg

Ray suggests you have a look at Fuchsia magellanica versicolor. We
have that and there is considerable variation in its leaf markings. It
has red veins and the younger growth, in particular, has very pink
leaves. Some of our has green bits in it too and apparenntly it is
known for a good deal of variation. This is a pic of ours which is a
very mature plant:
http://i37.tinypic.com/mwtno8.jpg
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Jim S 12-10-2009 04:32 PM

Fuchsia sport

On 11 Oct, 20:24, Jim S wrote:
[...]

I think I prefer Dave's choice of Sunray, but why is the reverted one not
grown in it's own right?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK