GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Delphinium seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187770-delphinium-seeds.html)

Judith in France 14-10-2009 05:34 PM

Delphinium seeds

I have saved seeds and want flowers for next year. Usually I have
planted these into seed trays in the spring and then planted out.
Would I obtain any success if I planted direct into the soil now and
cover with a cloche?

Judith

Pete C[_2_] 15-10-2009 08:00 PM

Delphinium seeds

Judith in France wrote:
I have saved seeds and want flowers for next year. Usually I have
planted these into seed trays in the spring and then planted out.
Would I obtain any success if I planted direct into the soil now and
cover with a cloche?

Judith

Don't know! :)
However, I'd stick to tried and tested. With your winter weather, I'm not
sure a cloche would be enough protection. :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Judith in France 16-10-2009 01:19 PM

Delphinium seeds

On Oct 15, 8:00*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have saved seeds and want flowers for next year. *Usually I have
planted these into seed trays in the spring and then planted out.
Would I obtain any success if I planted direct into the soil now and
cover with a cloche?

Judith

Don't know! :)
However, I'd stick to tried and tested. With your winter weather, I'm not
sure a cloche would be enough protection. :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Thanks Pete, I'm going to try both methods. We have had 2 nights of
minus a few degrees, it was so sudden, next week promises to have
temps back up in the mid twenties!!!!

Judith

Jeff Layman[_2_] 16-10-2009 02:29 PM

Delphinium seeds

Judith in France wrote:
I have saved seeds and want flowers for next year. Usually I have
planted these into seed trays in the spring and then planted out.
Would I obtain any success if I planted direct into the soil now and
cover with a cloche?

Judith

If you plant them in the soil now, you can be sure that the slugs will have
a number of dates in spring marked on their calendars...

--
Jeff

Judith in France 16-10-2009 04:43 PM

Delphinium seeds

On Oct 16, 2:29*pm, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I have saved seeds and want flowers for next year. *Usually I have
planted these into seed trays in the spring and then planted out.
Would I obtain any success if I planted direct into the soil now and
cover with a cloche?

Judith

If you plant them in the soil now, you can be sure that the slugs will have
a number of dates in spring marked on their calendars...

--
Jeff

LOL. I could surround them with coffee grains, an inch high and an
inch deep, rather like a moat round an island:-)

Judith