Old 17-10-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default could someone remind me what this plant is, please

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-10-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's name is something like houtyinia IIRC

Steve

Old 17-10-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'

Bobbie
Old 17-10-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/
-- Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's name is something like houtyinia IIRC

Steve

Thanks. It's Houttuynia cordata 'Chamaeleon' (aka 'Variegata'). The RHS
Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers has it as a water (marginal) plant,
which would explain why I didn't find it in there - I found it growing
in a stretch of gravel alongside a residential road.

(I thought the name began with H, but all my memory was giving me was
Hacquetia, and I'd already confirmed that it wasn't that.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-10-2009, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-17 21:01:08 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

Looks like a Houttuynia cordata Chameleon but we've known of one very
similar called Tricolour, so...... The colour variation changes
according to exposure to sun - some say it can be invasive.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-10-2009, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
shazzbat writes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

It's name is something like houtyinia IIRC

Thanks. It's Houttuynia cordata 'Chamaeleon' (aka 'Variegata'). The RHS
Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers has it as a water (marginal) plant,
which would explain why I didn't find it in there - I found it growing in
a stretch of gravel alongside a residential road.

(I thought the name began with H, but all my memory was giving me was
Hacquetia, and I'd already confirmed that it wasn't that.)

Glad it's not just me that does that.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-10-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
shazzbat writes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

It's name is something like houtyinia IIRC

Thanks. It's Houttuynia cordata 'Chamaeleon' (aka 'Variegata'). The RHS
Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers has it as a water (marginal) plant,
which would explain why I didn't find it in there - I found it growing in
a stretch of gravel alongside a residential road.

(I thought the name began with H, but all my memory was giving me was
Hacquetia, and I'd already confirmed that it wasn't that.)

Glad it's not just me that does that.

Close, but no cigar. Story of my life.

Steve

Old 18-10-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 08:51:26 +0100, Jennifer Sparkes said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 2009-10-17 21:01:08 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

Looks like a Houttuynia cordata Chameleon but we've known of one very
similar called Tricolour, so...... The colour variation changes
according to exposure to sun - some say it can be invasive.

Invasive it certainly is I am still trying to get rid of it ... :-(

Jennifer

Sounds a bit like Alchemilla mollis for some people. Others complain
of it being invasive but in a previous garden, I was always wishing it
would be!

Old 18-10-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-17 21:01:08 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

Looks like a Houttuynia cordata Chameleon but we've known of one very
similar called Tricolour, so...... The colour variation changes
according to exposure to sun - some say it can be invasive.

Invasive it certainly is I am still trying to get rid of it ... :-(

Jennifer

Mine is planted as a pond marginal and I have managed to contain its
wondering habit with a cut down pond plant basket. It works a treat and
its glorious colour has been a joy all summer and here in Dorset still is.

Bobbie
--
http://thingamabobs.co.uk/imagesofcanfordheath5.html
Old 18-10-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 17, 9:40*pm, Bobbie wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/4020321462/

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'

If you are overun with the stuff just invite your South East Asian
neighbours in to help themselves as they use it for salads and use
leaves , stems and roots. It also has numerous medical uses, though,
personally, the smell makes me nauseous!

Old 21-10-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PLEASE don't plant it in your garden!! You'll have it everywhere in
about 10 days flat

It's really invasive so best in pots and even then don't let the runners
come out from the bottom!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy