Old 28-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Joe

Default Composting Potato Skins

I tend to recall reading that it may not be safe to compost potato
skins. Are there substantial grounds for concern? I don't grow
potatoes.

Thanks
--
Joe
http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/garden/
Old 28-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Emrys Davies

'Joe',

http://www.wastenot.ie/composting.html#three

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

. ..

Old 28-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:58:32 +0100, Joe
wrote:

I tend to recall reading that it may not be safe to compost potato
skins. Are there substantial grounds for concern? I don't grow
potatoes.

I've never heard that it wasn't safe to compost potato skins - though
I'd be inclined not to compost any spuds that are obviously diseased.

The biggest problem ( such as it is ) with composting potato skins is
that they sometimes sprout, so it pays to slice the peelings up nice
and small.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 28-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Essjay001

Joe wrote:
I tend to recall reading that it may not be safe to compost potato
skins. Are there substantial grounds for concern? I don't grow
potatoes.

Surely Potato skins contain a lot of the vit C better to eat them.

Old 28-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:
| On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:58:32 +0100, Joe
| wrote:
|
| I tend to recall reading that it may not be safe to compost potato
| skins. Are there substantial grounds for concern? I don't grow
| potatoes.
|
| I've never heard that it wasn't safe to compost potato skins - though
| I'd be inclined not to compost any spuds that are obviously diseased.

There are some soil-borne diseases that can survive composting, but
you are unlikely to see most of them on bought potatoes and they
don't affect anything else (except just perhaps tomatoes). I use
your approach.

| The biggest problem ( such as it is ) with composting potato skins is
| that they sometimes sprout, so it pays to slice the peelings up nice
| and small.

Well, yes, if you peel them or (as I do) compost potatoes that have
shrivelled or sprouted beyond use. But it isn't a big deal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tomato Skins RayH United Kingdom 1 10-09-2007 07:45 PM
Tomatos with tough skins KK United Kingdom 9 01-09-2004 10:44 AM
Bannana skins in water butt. p.mc United Kingdom 11 08-07-2004 09:02 AM
bananna skins as green, or yellow, manure Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 20-05-2004 09:08 AM
Tomatoes skins splitting AussieResc Edible Gardening 4 23-07-2003 10:32 PM