GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hurstway (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187936-hurstway.html)

hurstway 24-10-2009 04:33 PM

hurstway

can anybody give imfo on the use off worms to help my compost achieve better results

rupert 24-10-2009 09:45 PM

hurstway

"hurstway" wrote in message

can anybody give imfo on the use off worms to help my compost achieve
better results

hurstway

Not quite certain what you mean by better results? but if you bury poor
compost then the worms will finish off the rotting process. A good compost
heap should get invaded by worms just before the final composing process has
occurred along with dozens of other creepy crawlies. My comments do apply to
a traditional heap and not to plastic confined bins not sited on soil.

hurstway 26-10-2009 03:54 PM

my compost is made up of grass clippings and everyday waste from cuttings of flowers and vegetables all put in to a plastic bin can anybody help

No Name 26-10-2009 10:07 PM

hurstway

hurstway wrote:
my compost is made up of grass clippings and everyday waste from
cuttings of flowers and vegetables all put in to a plastic bin can
anybody help

Is there a bottom on the bin or is it sitting on earth?

hurstway 05-11-2009 01:21 PM

the bin is sitting on earth i hear there are worms to be bought on the net

K 05-11-2009 04:28 PM

hurstway

hurstway writes

No Name;867984 Wrote:
hurstway wrote:-
my compost is made up of grass clippings and everyday waste from
cuttings of flowers and vegetables all put in to a plastic bin can
anybody help-

Is there a bottom on the bin or is it sitting on earth?

the bin is sitting on earth i hear there are worms to be bought on the
net

the worms you need will be around in small numbers in the earth, and
will find their way into the compost and will breed rapidly. If this
doesn't happen, it means your compost is not right for the worms (too
dry? too wet?) and bought-in worms won't survive any better.

--
Kay

Jess N 05-11-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurstway (Post 868662)
the bin is sitting on earth i hear there are worms to be bought on the net

If you do need to buy worms someone told me that you can buy exactly the same product that would order for gardening purposes from fishing related sources. Apparently they use the same worms for baiting as people use for wormerys! But they pay less for them.

'Mike'[_4_] 05-11-2009 09:51 PM

hurstway

"Jess N" wrote in message

hurstway;868662 Wrote:
the bin is sitting on earth i hear there are worms to be bought on the
net

If you do need to buy worms someone told me that you can buy exactly
the same product that would order for gardening purposes from fishing
related sources. Apparently they use the same worms for baiting as
people use for wormerys! But they pay less for them.

--
Jess N

We just keep the bottom of the bin on the ground and the worms, hundreds of
them, find the compost. Maybe I should start 'farming' them. What could I
charge per 10 ?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk