Old 26-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Default Novice gardener purchased bay/goji/rosemary and already having problems help please

Hello all I am new to gardening and have never had so much as a lawn before.

I decided 4 weeks ago to by a bay tree (30cm tall) rosemary (10cm tall) and goji berry (30cm tall)

All three plants have been potted in peat free compost with stones at the bottom and reside in my flat next to my patio doors.

I have problems with all three plants and would like some advice if possible.

Bay:
My bay tree looks really healthy and has deep dark green leaves and a strong stem. However I have noticed small circular holes appearing as well as a clear gum like liquid and white residue on the leaves and am becoming concerned it may be diseased or something.

Rosemary:
The rosemary plants dont seem to have grown at all and look frail and dingy.

Goji berry:
the goji berry leaves have started to go yellow varrying ratios of yellowness on the different leaves.

I am totally clueless and realy dont want to fall at the first hurdle with my plants.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:17:41 +0000, commando
wrote:

[...]

If they are inside your flat, you will have problems with all 3.
All are hardy outdoor plants and will not respond well to indoor
conditions.
Do you have anywhere outdoors where these pots could go?

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Goji berry:
the goji berry leaves have started to go yellow varrying ratios of
yellowness on the different leaves.

If they are inside your flat, you will have problems with all 3.
All are hardy outdoor plants and will not respond well to indoor
conditions.
Do you have anywhere outdoors where these pots could go?

Although remember that if the goji berry is in its first year, it may
need protecting from frost. (I'm doing remarkably badly with my goji
berry plants - bought 3 a couple of years back, one died and the other
two look ... unhappy. Bought 2 the year before that went out and both
died in the winter, the later 3 have all been kept indoors and look just
as unhappy. Bought seeds and none have germinated! Fortunately it
turns out I don't actually like goji berries apart from when dried and
coated in enough dark chocolate to make them taste of nothing but
chocolate! ;-)
Old 27-10-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-26 19:17:41 +0000, commando
said:

[...]

Peat free compost has fewer nutrients. Are you feeding your plants and
do they drain well after watering and feeding? The rosemary needs to
be in sunlight and a free draining position. Bay trees are usually
pretty trouble free but I'd suggest putting them all outside, bringing
the Goji berry in before frosts start. Yellowing leaves could be too
much water and not enough drainage but I've never grown these, so
that's just a guess. Maybe it's autumn leaf fall? They're supposed to
be hardy enough to go outside after about a year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered User

Try moving them all outside for a while and see what happens as they probably don't particularly like being indoors. If possible, give the whole plants a good spray of water (foliage) but don't over-water the pots and only bring them back indoors if very cold weather (i.e. frost) is forecast. You might want to take a look at http://www.pots2plots.com which gives lots of advice about growing fruit, veggies and herbs in containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post

Old 27-10-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 26, 7:17*pm, commando
wrote:
[...]

I would keep them outside, I have bay and it survives, albeit a bit
battered and we live in pretty inclement weather here in Winter. I
have 2 Rosemary bushes, 1 in a huge pot and one in the herb garden.
The one in the herb garden doesn't like Winter but the one in the pot,
which has some protection of a wall, loves it, the roots have gone
through the pot and are now firmly anchored in soil.

Judith
Old 27-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered User

Thanx everyone

I reckon I may try put them outside for a bit and see if that helps.

I dont feed them with anything at the moment so may try that as well does anybody know any decent feeds?
Old 27-10-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

I would keep them outside, I have bay and it survives, albeit a bit
battered and we live in pretty inclement weather here in Winter.

My bay tree is a thug. I had to take the chainsaw to it the other year
to trim it back a bit! It self seeds all over the place with little bay
trees coming up like weeds in lots of strange places - I guess the birds
carry the seeds. Nice tree though. Always looks healthy.

When I see bay leaves for sale in supermarkets in little pots it makes
me laugh. I've got enough bay leaves to feed Europe :-) I wonder if
there is a market for them on eBay ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 28-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Thanx everyone

I reckon I may try put them outside for a bit and see if that helps.

I dont feed them with anything at the moment so may try that as well does anybody know any decent feeds?
Rosemary likes warmth, sun and dryness. I would plan to repot in the spring into a soil-based John Innes 3 plus extra sand to give it the not too rich, well draining conditions it likes, and find a nice, sunny corner for it. There are many different forms. Which one do you have?

Bay trees get big - up to 25 feet - so they need to be treated like bonsai in pots. Good soil, balanced feeding, repotting annually with a root trim.

Goji are Himalayan in origin, and the plants of the genus that I know are huge - up to 12 feet high and more across as they sucker like mad. I cannot see they are a particulalry good pot plant, though of course with all the breeding that's going on they may be dwarfed forms. It is also a deciduous plant, so will be preparing to drop its leaves.

None are good houseplants.
Old 28-10-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 27, 9:50*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I would keep them outside, I have bay and it survives, albeit a bit
battered and we live in pretty inclement weather here in Winter.

My bay tree is a thug. I had to take the chainsaw to it the other year
to trim it back a bit! It self seeds all over the place with little bay
trees coming up like weeds in lots of strange places - I guess the birds
carry the seeds. Nice tree though. Always looks healthy.

When I see bay leaves for sale in supermarkets in little pots it makes
me laugh. I've got enough bay leaves to feed Europe :-) *I wonder if
there is a market for them on eBay ;-)

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

I agree, I won't use dried bay, it has to be fresh. The little packet
of fresh herbs I do buy in the Winter are those herbs which won't
survive, e.g. Basil which is a herb I use a lot of. I have made a
dried herb mixture, for bread stuffings and for farcie, of basil,
thyme and oregano, it was pretty easy dryng it in a low oven or in the
warming drawer of the cooker and then crumbling up when dry. It's as
good as dried herbs get but nothing like fresh.

Judith

Old 28-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Bay trees get big - up to 25 feet - so they need to be treated like bonsai in pots. Good soil, balanced feeding, repotting annually with a root trim.

Goji are Himalayan in origin, and the plants of the genus that I know are huge - up to 12 feet high and more across as they sucker like mad. I cannot see they are a particulalry good pot plant, though of course with all the breeding that's going on they may be dwarfed forms. It is also a deciduous plant, so will be preparing to drop its leaves.

None are good houseplants.
I bought a little bay plant and put it in the ground 9 years ago. For about 7 years it was a specimen in the lawn. As it was in the way for the new garage and path it got moved to a proper flower bed. While in the lawn it got to about 70cm tall. It's grown a bit faster the last couple of years in some better soil with less competition for scarce water from the grass, so its probably now a little over a metre. They can be pruned like hedging, so I expect to keep it bushlike. My soil is dry and stony. In damper soil, they grow a lot faster.

Goji berries, much longer known in Britain as Wolfberry or Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree, were introduced to Britain by the 3rd Duke of Argyll in the 18th century, and are survive the winter out of doors in mild areas. They grow to between 1m and 3m, usually nearer the lower end in this country. They have escaped from gardens and volunteers can be found in the wild, especially in areas like the SW. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry Most people say that the berries are disappointing for their taste. Their popularity seems to be based upon health claims that are poorly substantiated.
Old 31-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered User

Hello I have recently found loads of little flies in my bay soil so this could be the reason for the holes in the soil.

Anbody recomend any pest control methods?