GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can you heavily cut back a holly bush? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/187993-can-you-heavily-cut-back-holly-bush.html)

MrsBrown 29-10-2009 12:14 PM

Can you heavily cut back a holly bush?

Hello.

I have just bought my first house and on the boundary with a neighbour, they have a large bulbous mature holly bush that is growing onto my driveway by about 2-3 foot.

The main trunk of the holly brush is pretty much on the boundary so if i cut it right back off my driveway i get the feeling it would become bare in the middle and possibly stay that way.

It is also a privacy bush.

Can someone advise me if there is a way to cut a holly bush right back off my property, but for it to restablish dense leaf cover around the trunk and sidewards along the boundary?

Thanks

beccabunga 29-10-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBrown (Post 868196)
Hello.

I have just bought my first house and on the boundary with a neighbour, they have a large bulbous mature holly bush that is growing onto my driveway by about 2-3 foot.

The main trunk of the holly brush is pretty much on the boundary so if i cut it right back off my driveway i get the feeling it would become bare in the middle and possibly stay that way.

It is also a privacy bush.

Can someone advise me if there is a way to cut a holly bush right back off my property, but for it to restablish dense leaf cover around the trunk and sidewards along the boundary?

Thanks

Before doing anything, talk to your neighbour and agree the best thing to do. You can cut off anything that extends over your property but must return the cuttings to the owner [your neighbour]. Much better to persuade them to do the job.

Read up about pruning evergreen trees.