GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Parsnips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/188077-parsnips.html)

Harry Patch 05-11-2009 08:03 PM

Parsnips

WoooHooo

I grew them in a sand/compost mix this year.

Eureka. Parsnips the length of my arm!

Allan

No Name 05-11-2009 10:55 PM

Parsnips

Harry Patch wrote:
I grew them in a sand/compost mix this year.

Eureka. Parsnips the length of my arm!

You've pulled one (or more) already?
I thought you had to wait till after a frost so the starch started
to turn to sugar.

[email protected] 06-11-2009 08:33 PM

Parsnips

writes:

Harry Patch wrote:
I grew them in a sand/compost mix this year.

Eureka. Parsnips the length of my arm!

You've pulled one (or more) already?
I thought you had to wait till after a frost so the starch started
to turn to sugar.

Sticking them in the freezer for a couple of hours apparently works
just as well, though why anyone would want to do anything other than
chuck the vile disgusting things straight on the bonfire escapes me,
it's the only way to improve the flavour that works...

Anthony

Pete C[_2_] 06-11-2009 10:09 PM

Parsnips

wrote:
writes:

Harry Patch wrote:
I grew them in a sand/compost mix this year.

Eureka. Parsnips the length of my arm!

You've pulled one (or more) already?
I thought you had to wait till after a frost so the starch started
to turn to sugar.

Sticking them in the freezer for a couple of hours apparently works
just as well, though why anyone would want to do anything other than
chuck the vile disgusting things straight on the bonfire escapes me,
it's the only way to improve the flavour that works...

Anthony

Sunday roast is nowt without roast parsnip. :)
--
Buy a poppy....help a serviceman
Also....

No Name 06-11-2009 11:08 PM

Parsnips

wrote:
Sticking them in the freezer for a couple of hours apparently works
just as well, though why anyone would want to do anything other than
chuck the vile disgusting things straight on the bonfire escapes me,
it's the only way to improve the flavour that works...

Heheh. They're not my favourite thing in the world, but I probably
wouldn't go that far. Peppers, now, that's another matter. Couldn't
incinerate them fast enough. Kind of ironic that they're one of the
things I grew best this year ...
(they're just turning red as we speak ...)