Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh comeback?

Ophelia wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 4:33 pm, wrote:
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

On Nov 6, 11:12=A0am, Martin wrote:

I have to admit he also irritates me, he is so over exposed and I
see him popping up all over the place as an expert on just about
everything, mind you we have a few on group, from time to time,
who think they know it all :-)

but we rumbled you long ago, Judith. )

Obviously you are on course for a good slap or as O says a thwap!!.

Together with a tickle?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh I dunno, wouldn't want to be tooooooooo forward :-)

'ere! I don't do the tickling thingie

Aww............spoil sport
--
Buy a poppy....help a serviceman
Also....

Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine
gardening tips and advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a
really good presenter and he does know his gardening. I know I've
said it before but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making
everyone feel as if he's talking to them personally. It's a great
tool of the trade for a tv presenter and especially one who's
actually trying to teach people something. IOO, all will be well if
it's a proper gardening programme that does *not* rely on an instant
makeover formula, however. Alan T and one other (Toby Buckland, Carol
Klein, Joe Swift?) would be quite enough and perhaps they could
focus on some real garden work! PS Isn't it fortunate that we *didn't*
all just 'switch off'? ;-))

Carol.....er, no. Joe....his allotment bit isn't bad. Toby.....would be fine
if he could be himself instead of following some daft producers script.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

Sacha wrote:
[...]

I agree, Pete, that Toby is fine and could be very good if i) he didn't
follow that lame script and ii) if he fronted a proper gardening show (in
the manner of St. Geoff Hamilton) instead of anchoring a handful of 5 minute
slots. When the producers learn that gardeners have a longer attention span
than most (comes of waiting for plants to grow), they might cobble together
a half useful prog. In Geoff's day, I was so inspired and enthused by his
program, I could hardly wait to get out in the garden!

I confess I find Alan T a little trivial at times, but he is knowledgeable
and presents well although, even when he took over, the programme was
reduced to a few nibbles rather than one good bite. That may not be his
fault of course, and he does seem to get many of the ladies all aflutter
:~)!

Spider

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Many of the gripes over the current prog are down to production rather than
presenters. The presenters are all knowledgleable, and like most on this
group, would love to enthuse on their favorite subject.................alas
that isn't allowed

Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Yes, a great pity. Knowledge and enthusiasm, as well as an ability to
bestow these, is precisely what's needed on GW. I keep watching in the vain
hope it will improve but, these days I rarely watch it in 'real time'
because I come in late from the garden during the summer. That shows *just*
how much it's changed for me: I used to rush in from the garden to catch
every second.

Spider

Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:43:23 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:
Knowledge and enthusiasm, as well as an ability to
bestow these, is precisely what's needed on GW. I keep watching in the vain
hope it will improve but, these days I rarely watch it in 'real time'
because I come in late from the garden during the summer. That shows *just*
how much it's changed for me: I used to rush in from the garden to catch
every second.

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Knowledge and enthusiasm, as well as an ability to
bestow these, is precisely what's needed on GW. I keep watching in the vain
hope it will improve but, these days I rarely watch it in 'real time'
because I come in late from the garden during the summer. That shows *just*
how much it's changed for me: I used to rush in from the garden to catch
every second.

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

I hope it doesn't just give up altogether. If it does, it would be a
foolish move. More and more young people are getting into gardening
and most/many are interested in growing their own food above anything
else. Our sales of veg. plants have increased greatly over the last
few years and seedsmen have found the same is happening. Local schools
are also beginning to grow their own fruit and veg. and just last week
we received a letter asking us to donate fruit trees and bushes to a
local school. People still want ornamental plants and pretty gardens,
of course but it would be a huge shame if the BBC doesn't recognise
this change in the way people approach their gardens now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Knowledge and enthusiasm, as well as an ability to
bestow these, is precisely what's needed on GW. I keep watching in the
vain
hope it will improve but, these days I rarely watch it in 'real time'
because I come in late from the garden during the summer. That shows
*just*
how much it's changed for me: I used to rush in from the garden to catch
every second.

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

--

Link:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...dener-s-World-

mark

Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:45:01 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

The trouble is, TV programming has vastly changed since the says of
St Geoff ( gardening by and for gardeners). Today GW is aimed at a
much wider
target audience than gardeners. Just like Strictly Come Dancing. is
aimed at people who don't dance. It's entertainment geared to
non-participants.
A snack for grazing couch potatoes, rather than the G Hamilton
nourishing meal for hungry gardeners who've worked up an appetite.

Maybe if GW presenters wore fantastic frocks, or some sequiny
costume which barely passes as adequate underwear, they'd get more
viewers. I'm
only surprised they haven't introduced score cards and viewer voting.

Let's get Cheryl Kale and Simon Trowell on the panel

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

LOL, oh very clever, but I think you are both onto something.

Bobbie

--
http://thingamabobs.co.uk/imagesofcanfordheath7.html

Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ contains these words:

wrote:
[...]

Whateverever target audience it is aiming at, it has missed as evidenced by
the diminishing viewing figures.
mark

Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, people have found the 'off' button. I did notice that the report in the
Daily Express failed to comment on the huge numbers of uk.rec.gardening
subscribers who had written in to complain. It would appear that they just
spouted their mouths off here.
..
..
..
..

"DID" any urgler actually write to the Beeb?

Names will be collected on the back of a postage stamp.
..

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

o.uk...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Both from talking to customers and reading the majority opinion on
here, I think most viewers want straightforward gardening without the
fake friendship stuff and the gimmicky sheds etc. It doesn't mean it
has to be humourless or without its lighter moments but it does mean
less of the celeb culture and more of the cultivation! Roy Lancaster
told us that when he was doing his early broadcasting work he was told
very sternly to remember that the plants were the stars, not the
presenters! That's part of what needs to come back - let's forget the
silly hats and scarves and hair and whatever. More plants, less
people. AND PLANT NAMES ON THE SCREEN!! Are you listening programme
makers? ;-) It's no good showing people plants and not telling them
what they are. Learners need to know from scratch and more experienced
gardeners want to know the names of new things being launched. We get
customers saying "it was on a gardening programme 2 weeks ago, it's
blue/yellow/red/orange and it has green leaves that are pointed." Tell
them the names. Please! And at the end of the programme - having
warned them to be ready to write it down - tell them where there are
special courses or days out that would interest gardeners, e.g. Apple
Days, or places giving a week end course or a day course on veg and
herb growing, or taking cuttings, or how to save seed etc.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sascha, has that been copied to the BBC?

If not, why not?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that the Beeb is well aware of the GW failings and that is why they
are having chats with AT.
mark