Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh comeback?

On 2009-11-09 17:18:36 +0000, "mark" said:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ contains these words:

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:43:23 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:
Knowledge and enthusiasm, as well as an ability to
bestow these, is precisely what's needed on GW. I keep watching in
the vain
hope it will improve but, these days I rarely watch it in 'real time'
because I come in late from the garden during the summer. That shows
*just*
how much it's changed for me: I used to rush in from the garden to
catch
every second.

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

The trouble is, TV programming has vastly changed since the says of
St Geoff ( gardening by and for gardeners). Today GW is aimed at a
much wider
target audience than gardeners. Just like Strictly Come Dancing. is
aimed at people who don't dance. It's entertainment geared to
non-participants.

Whateverever target audience it is aiming at, it has missed as evidenced
by
the diminishing viewing figures.
mark

Both from talking to customers and reading the majority opinion on here, I
think most viewers want straightforward gardening without the fake
friendship stuff and the gimmicky sheds etc. It doesn't mean it has to be
humourless or without its lighter moments but it does mean less of the
celeb culture and more of the cultivation! Roy Lancaster told us that
when he was doing his early broadcasting work he was told very sternly to
remember that the plants were the stars, not the presenters! That's part
of what needs to come back - let's forget the silly hats and scarves and
hair and whatever. More plants, less people. AND PLANT NAMES ON THE
SCREEN!! Are you listening programme makers? ;-) It's no good showing
people plants and not telling them what they are. Learners need to know
from scratch and more experienced gardeners want to know the names of new
things being launched. We get customers saying "it was on a gardening
programme 2 weeks ago, it's blue/yellow/red/orange and it has green leaves
that are pointed." Tell them the names. Please! And at the end of the
programme - having warned them to be ready to write it down - tell them
where there are special courses or days out that would interest gardeners,
e.g. Apple Days, or places giving a week end course or a day course on veg
and herb growing, or taking cuttings, or how to save seed etc.
--

I'm sure that the Beeb is well aware of the GW failings and that is why they
are having chats with AT.

They read this group as we know from a former member's experience
(IIRC) and they'd be wasting their time if they didn't listen to
opinions sent in to them. Nothing else would have caused a change in
approach, as happened with coverage of Chelsea.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:18:36 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyT...ammesOverview?

1.84 million w/e 06 Sep 2009
2.11 million w/e 13 Sep 2009
??
??
2.17 million w/e 04 Oct 2009
2.26 million w/e 11 Oct 2009
2.27 million w/e 18 Oct 2009
2.2 million w/e 25 Oct 2009

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

--
Alan
Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Maybe if GW presenters wore fantastic frocks, or some sequiny
costume which barely passes as adequate underwear, they'd get more
viewers.

Thank you Janet. Now I can't get the picture of Toby and Alys in sequined
thongs out of my head!

--
Kathy

Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
writes

The Daily Express today has a big and very critical article outlining
how Gardeners' World has gone from bad to worse. Basically saying
everything about it is wrong, poor presenters, dumbing down, stupid
little garden on waste land (not attached to a house etc)
The BBC really needs to up its game and get real or continue to leak
viewers when it returns

Maybe this dire series will have done us all a favour by showing
producers that appealing to the thick, lazy or ignorant is not the way
to broadcast Gardening programmes, I for one will be thankful if this
means that they learn their lesson!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Alan contains these words:

wrote:

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyT...ammesOverview?

1.84 million w/e 06 Sep 2009
2.11 million w/e 13 Sep 2009
??
??
2.17 million w/e 04 Oct 2009
2.26 million w/e 11 Oct 2009
2.27 million w/e 18 Oct 2009
2.2 million w/e 25 Oct 2009

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

That was because of the fashion interest; Tommy's shorts and
Charlie's free-range teeshirts.

And what a recent programme described as Charlie's "Pre-raphaelite hair"

Steve

Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyT...ammesOverview?

1.84 million w/e 06 Sep 2009
2.11 million w/e 13 Sep 2009
??
??
2.17 million w/e 04 Oct 2009
2.26 million w/e 11 Oct 2009
2.27 million w/e 18 Oct 2009
2.2 million w/e 25 Oct 2009

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

That was because of the fashion interest; Tommy's shorts and
Charlie's free-range teeshirts.

Janet

I am not sure it was the t shirts :~))
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-11-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:45:26 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

That was because of the fashion interest; Tommy's shorts and
Charlie's free-range teeshirts.

And what a recent programme described as Charlie's "Pre-raphaelite hair"

and what happened to her teeshirt every time she winsomely tossed
her pre-raphaelite head

The best tsunami I've ever witnessed.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyT...ammesOverview?

1.84 million w/e 06 Sep 2009
2.11 million w/e 13 Sep 2009
??
??
2.17 million w/e 04 Oct 2009
2.26 million w/e 11 Oct 2009
2.27 million w/e 18 Oct 2009
2.2 million w/e 25 Oct 2009

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

That was because of the fashion interest; Tommy's shorts and
Charlie's free-range teeshirts.

In GF the garden owner, in every case, just happened to be going away for
two days.
They would always return at 5.00pm., even Nelson Mandela arrived back at 5.
At 4.40 pm., there would always be major jobs that still needed doing.
There would always be a heavily loaded wheel barrow which could only be
pushed by Charlie requiring her to thrust her 'free range' chest out.

mark

It did become very formulaic in the end and felt like stuffing yourself
on a whole box of chocolates at once. I found it quite interesting
from the pov of seeing what design they'd come up with but the whole
'tension' thing became a bit tiresome.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:08:16 +0100, Martin wrote:

In GF the garden owner, in every case, just happened to be going away for
two days.

It was cunningly arranged with an excuse that an average 4 year old would have
seen through.
The only question in the person's mind must have been which TV he/she would find
his/herself on when he/she returned. Purple living room wall or purple fence?

They would always return at 5.00pm., even Nelson Mandela arrived back at 5.
At 4.40 pm., there would always be major jobs that still needed doing.
There would always be a heavily loaded wheel barrow which could only be
pushed by Charlie requiring her to thrust her 'free range' chest out.

mark

It did become very formulaic in the end and felt like stuffing yourself
on a whole box of chocolates at once. I found it quite interesting
from the pov of seeing what design they'd come up with but the whole
'tension' thing became a bit tiresome.

The whole tension thing drives almost every BBC TV programme.
I blame Challenge Anneke who may or may not have started the whole thing.

Damn, now you've mentioned another two frolicsome puppies in a sack

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Doyou remember the old cliff-hanger radio programmes? I blame those. ;-)
--
Sacha

Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:45:26 GMT, Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

wrote:

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyT...ammesOverview?

1.84 million w/e 06 Sep 2009
2.11 million w/e 13 Sep 2009
??
??
2.17 million w/e 04 Oct 2009
2.26 million w/e 11 Oct 2009
2.27 million w/e 18 Oct 2009
2.2 million w/e 25 Oct 2009

But Ground Force, the type of gardening programme that people really
want, had viewing figures closer to 12million!

That was because of the fashion interest; Tommy's shorts and
Charlie's free-range teeshirts.

And what a recent programme described as Charlie's "Pre-raphaelite hair"

and what happened to her teeshirt every time she winsomely tossed
her pre-raphaelite head

Her puppies romped?

Honkers
--
hugh

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
They read this group as we know from a former member's experience
(IIRC) and they'd be wasting their time if they didn't listen to
opinions sent in to them. Nothing else would have caused a change in
approach, as happened with coverage of Chelsea.

Well I sincerely hope they *don't* bring back the smarmy Titchmarsh, he
really grates on me. I agree it's the inappropriate production that
needs to be sorted out. Toby Buckland is a good presenter if he's
allowed to talk in more depth about actual gardening; he's a
knowledgeable bloke.

I feel an hour length programme with more time for getting into various
topics would be far better, and none of that "what's hot and what's not"
type nonsense. Plus another vote here for correct plant names on screen
long enough to jot them down.

One bugbear - I do wish they'd make sure to show what a whole
plant looks like when deciding camera angles. It's all very well to get
these arty close-up shots of a flower, but what about a sight of its
foliage and entire appearance? Sometimes you get shown something
unfamiliar but are left with no idea at all of the scale of the thing!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plus another vote here for correct plant names on screen
long enough to jot them down.

Oh no, not the proper names! Going back a lot of years it reminds me of my
father saying during every programme, 'write that down'. I never did and he
never realised.

mark

Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Well I sincerely hope they *don't* bring back the smarmy Titchmarsh, he
really grates on me. I agree it's the inappropriate production that
needs to be sorted out. Toby Buckland is a good presenter if he's
allowed to talk in more depth about actual gardening; he's a
knowledgeable bloke.

I feel an hour length programme with more time for getting into various
topics would be far better, and none of that "what's hot and what's not"
type nonsense. Plus another vote here for correct plant names on screen
long enough to jot them down.
I thought that it improved greatly when it was reduced to a 1/2 hour program, probably because it cut out the rubbish.
I'm quite happy with the current presenters, but not some of the content, I thing that the best thing would be to bring back AT as the Producer to improve the content.