Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh comeback?

The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening
tips and advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good
presenter and he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before
but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as
if he's talking to them personally. It's a great tool of the trade for
a tv presenter and especially one who's actually trying to teach people
something. IOO, all will be well if it's a proper gardening programme
that does *not* rely on an instant makeover formula, however. Alan T
and one other (Toby Buckland, Carol Klein, Joe Swift?) would be quite
enough and perhaps they could focus on some real garden work!
PS Isn't it fortunate that we *didn't* all just 'switch off'? ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening
tips and advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good
presenter and he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before
but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as
if he's talking to them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

--
Kay
Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 6, 10:31*am, K wrote:
Sacha writes

The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. *This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening
tips and advice. *I hope it materialises. *I think he's a really good
presenter and he does know his gardening. *I know I've said it before
but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as
if he's talking to them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

--
Kay

I have to admit he also irritates me, he is so over exposed and I see
him popping up all over the place as an expert on just about
everything, mind you we have a few on group, from time to time, who
think they know it all :-)

Judith
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 10:31:10 +0000, K said:

Sacha writes
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening
tips and advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good
presenter and he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before
but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as
if he's talking to them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

That was the format for Ground Force but I don't think it's his GW style.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 10:45:16 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:31:10 +0000, K wrote:

Sacha writes
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will
return to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints
about the current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening
tips and advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good
presenter and he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before
but he does have that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as
if he's talking to them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

Optimist.

On the same basis, I foresee Adrian Chiles taking over GW.

Benny Hill's cousin you mean!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 11:07:21 +0000, Judith in France
said:

On Nov 6, 10:31*am, K wrote:
Sacha writes

[...]

I don't think he can be blamed for being good at several things and
popular! You have to make a living when you can! But I have to admit,
also, that we haven't seen him much doing anything else, so haven't
suffered 'Titchmarsh fatigue'!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
news
Sacha writes
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will return
to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints about the
current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening tips and
advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good presenter and
he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before but he does have
that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as if he's talking to
them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

--

Just be thankful it's not Terry Wogan.

mark

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Just be thankful it's not Terry Wogan.

mark

or Jonathan 'W'oss
or David Mellor :-(((

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 11:07:21 +0000, Judith in France
said:

On Nov 6, 10:31*am, K wrote:
Sacha writes

[...]

He has an afternoon chat show, which you have managed to avoid.

We so rarely watch daytime tv, other than weather forecasts which often
turns into Ray having a crafty toews-up for 20 minutes or so! I always
feel a lot guilty if I watch tv during the day unless I'm ill and
allowed to be sorry for myself!
--
Sacha

Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 14:35:13 +0000, Judith in France

On 2009-11-06 11:07:21 +0000, Judith in France
said:

Sacha writes

'
[...]

He reminds me of a certain poster, I won't say which group as I'm sure
you will get the connection :-) It's his always having an answer for
everything, now who does this remind you of? No, don't say it :-)

Judith

Not I. I'd rather we kept it nice and peaceful.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 11:57:18 +0000, "mark" said:

"K" wrote in message
news
Sacha writes
The BBC is 'in talks' with Alan Titchmarsh in the hope that he will return
to front Gardener's World. This follows scores of complaints about the
current lacklustre presentation and lack of genuine gardening tips and
advice. I hope it materialises. I think he's a really good presenter and
he does know his gardening. I know I've said it before but he does have
that rare and valuable gift of making everyone feel as if he's talking to
them personally.

I find him immensely irritating, and his jokey style and 'confidential'
asides patronising. But if he does go back to Gardeners World (which I
don't watch), maybe we'll see less of him elsewhere :-)

--

Just be thankful it's not Terry Wogan.

mark

He doesn't do gardening and has said so when interviewed at Chelsea.
I've never seen a more fatuous waste of tv time! However, I must say
also that my husand is one of the TOGs.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:12=A0am, Martin wrote:

I have to admit he also irritates me, he is so over exposed and I see
him popping up all over the place as an expert on just about
everything, mind you we have a few on group, from time to time, who
think they know it all :-)

but we rumbled you long ago, Judith. )

Obviously you are on course for a good slap or as O says a thwap!!.

Together with a tickle?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 6, 4:33*pm, wrote:
In article ,
Judith in France wrote:

On Nov 6, 11:12=A0am, Martin wrote:

I have to admit he also irritates me, he is so over exposed and I see
him popping up all over the place as an expert on just about
everything, mind you we have a few on group, from time to time, who
think they know it all :-)

but we rumbled you long ago, Judith. )

Obviously you are on course for a good slap or as O says a thwap!!.

Together with a tickle?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh I dunno, wouldn't want to be tooooooooo forward :-)

Judith
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 4:33 pm, wrote:
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

On Nov 6, 11:12=A0am, Martin wrote:

I have to admit he also irritates me, he is so over exposed and I see
him popping up all over the place as an expert on just about
everything, mind you we have a few on group, from time to time, who
think they know it all :-)

but we rumbled you long ago, Judith. )

Obviously you are on course for a good slap or as O says a thwap!!.

Together with a tickle?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh I dunno, wouldn't want to be tooooooooo forward :-)

'ere! I don't do the tickling thingie

Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

oh good - I might start watching again

Chris S