GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Salvia confertiflora (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/188156-salvia-confertiflora.html)

Sacha[_4_] 11-11-2009 10:34 AM

Salvia confertiflora

Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 11-11-2009 01:53 PM

Salvia confertiflora

In article ,
says...
Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.

Came through here, and flowered all through, been in flower now 2 years
without a break, looking great as I write.
We do grow it in very free draining compost bang up against a greenhouse
and through an evergreen senna so its well protected.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_4_] 11-11-2009 05:52 PM

Salvia confertiflora

On 2009-11-11 13:53:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.

Came through here, and flowered all through, been in flower now 2 years
without a break, looking great as I write.
We do grow it in very free draining compost bang up against a greenhouse
and through an evergreen senna so its well protected.

Ours was out in one of the big borders on the lawn and just didn't have
enough protection, we think. Time to try again next year. Anyway,
you're cheating, you're 'down country'. ;-)) I think that particular
one had been in about 4 or 5 years with no problem but last year's
frosts went too low and hung on for too long, I think.

Janet Tweedy 11-11-2009 05:55 PM

Salvia confertiflora

In article , Sacha
writes
Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.

4 of us lost it last winter Sacha. Two are really high up in Chilterns 1
is fairly sheltered.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Sacha[_4_] 11-11-2009 07:03 PM

Salvia confertiflora

On 2009-11-11 17:55:37 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
Is anyone growing this 'up country'? I'm curious to know how well it
does in frosty winters. It comes through with us usually but we did
lose some of it last year.

4 of us lost it last winter Sacha. Two are really high up in Chilterns
1 is fairly sheltered.

That sounds as if it usually takes a fair amount of cold, though,
Janet? Last winter being exceptional and all!