Old 15-11-2009, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default To pee or not to pee?

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

I can't believe it's attracted all this comment, it's a non-question.

As we've all discovered, plant material composts. It sets off by
itself,
with or without urine. I've had as small an amount as a wheelbarrow
full
of weeds set off. Urinating on the compost stems from there being no
toilets on allotments. AFAIK it does no harm, but if you don't do it
the
stuff composts anyway.

Steve

Certainly but AIUI, it's acting as an accelerant. I must admit I don't
quite see why this compost is needed so quickly but.....!

There is some stuff on salecannot remember the name but it is marketed
as an
organic accelerant for compost and costs a bomb, what I don't understand
is
why people pay for it when it obviously comes free!

Alan

That's the theory behind this, of course but it still doesn't explain
why people need compost in *such* a hurry. ;-)
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

But, as already mentioned, if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly

The problem with that theory in respect of this material, is that it has to
be diluted with water!

Alan

Old 15-11-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message
,
aquachimp writes

if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

And as we get older the frequency increases...

We have a water meter, and when it was fitted, I told my wife about the
rules in an American State which is 'if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's
brown flush it down' and that is how we deal with that problem, fortunately
we do not get many visitors!(:-)

Alan

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-11-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from aquachimp contains these words:

On Nov 14, 4:44 pm, Janet Baraclough
On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp
said:
I'm used the word "excuse" deliberately because somehow, call it
instinct, I often got the impression that what the somewhat potty
pro-
pee proclaimers were really after was an excuse to 'mark' their
territory, as opposed to working in a very large garden, or that of
someone else's where it would be impractical to travel all the way
back and remove muddy footwear, or unwelcomed to do so.

Your animal instincts are awry.

Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

Territory in this sense is not a warning on a boundary fence, mate, or
door, but an unfocused declaration to outline maleness or earthiness
or some-such.

Perhaps their own animal instincts are awry and that they do not post
so dam nearly obsessively on the subject to ward of competitors, to
protect their plants, nor necessarily to directly influence female
readers to be attracted to them given how marking can work that way
too.

How does your theory account for the fact that women pee in the
compost heap too?
(please don't tell me it's to attract breeding males)

Is that why, every time I go into the garden I make for the compost
heap?(:-)

Alan

Janet

Old 15-11-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
aquachimp writes
On Nov 14, 10:19 pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.

You bounder, I wanted to say that, I shall go away and sulk!

Alan

--
Kay

Old 15-11-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:27:07 +0000, "alan.holmes"

On 2009-11-14 11:01:19 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ said:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:49:38 -0500, wrote:

I thought I was the only older gent here until I seen Sacha's post.
What
young folk don't seem to think about is when you get older the Doctors
put you on all sorts of prescription medicines .

Oh dear, I wonder what drug Sacha has been on!!

I don't *think* my voice is getting deeper. ;-) Does Yorkshire Tea
count?

Surely you do NOT drink Yorkshire Tea?

How dreadfull!

Alan

We certainly do and love it. Sorry, Alan. ;-)

I'll forgive you, this time!(:-)

Alan

Old 15-11-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 5:08*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

Old 15-11-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes" said:

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

[...]

So dilute your water with whiskey. ;-))
--
Sacha

Old 15-11-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

said:

[...]

Really, Are you saying that all those who like to pee on their compost
have to bring a can of water with them as well?

No, just that if you are stupid enough to buy this product from a garden
centre you are instructed to dilute it with water.

If I can remember I will have a look round the next GS I go to, to see if
they have it.

But don't bank on it, cos by the time I have pressed the 'send' button I
will have forgotten all about it!(:-(

Alan

Old 15-11-2009, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

said:

[...]

Now that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that, perhaps it is because I
cannot think any more!

Alan

--
Sacha

Old 15-11-2009, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

[...]

Aagghhh.........those two do not mix! Leave out the water
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 15-11-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Gordon H wrote in
:

In message , ®óñ© ©
²°¹°-°¹ writes
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:25:17 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

Freshly voided urine is almost invariably sterile

"Except in cases of kidney or urinary tract infection (UTI), urine
is virtually
sterile and nearly odourless."

It tastes rather salty.

I've never tasted it yet, but if I were in a situation where no water
was available I would do it without doubt.

If you've tasted Double Diamond or Watney's you'll have a good idea of
the taste.

Or Budweiser...

Ever tried Coors?

Personally I think the Czech Bud is palatabble, and even the (cold) US
stuff is OK in a hot climate.

But Coors? Shudder
Old 16-11-2009, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vermicides was To pee or not to pee?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from Sacha contains these words:

(snip) what flitted through my mind is how
very careful some people are about not using animal manure that
contains veterinary medicines.

Many veterinary medicines used on herbivores, are intended to kill
insect parasites, including intestinal worms in the colon. Faeces
containing active ingredients
could possibly reach and kill beneficial worms, insects and organisms
in a compost heap.

Interesting point. I use masses of horse manure in my garden (fresh and
uncomposted) and have never asked the owner of the horses about her
vermicide use. It's never bothered me and certainly doesn't seem to bother
the worms who seem to respond very positively in both increasing numbers and
size by the application of masses of the stuff.

I've often wondered if the 'ban' on using manure in gardens because of
vermicides is just an urban myth given that intestinal worms and earth worms
would be two different species. I found this site which gives some info:
http://santacruzwire.com/index.php/m...c-gardens.html
(specifically about Ivermectin)
but would like to know for sure now the subject has been raised. Would one
of your vet contacts know for sure?

Old 16-11-2009, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
wrote:

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same
advice over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their
questions unanswered.

I was peeing on my compost and in my watering can long before usenet was
discovered by a callow youth.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-11-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Gordon H wrote:

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

I remember being told many years ago
that the sewer system required a certain amount of water to pass through it,
so cisterns served a necessary purpose.

You are correct of course. On my property the surface water drains
run into the sewage drains, so there is usually a reasonable flow,
despite the arid Manchester climate.

Let there be a drought in any town or city, and one suddenly becomes
aware of the drains...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 08:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 07:39 PM
pee in the pile Mogie Gardening 52 03-10-2003 05:22 AM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 03:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 05:56 AM