Old 16-11-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default To pee or not to pee?

In message , alan.holmes
writes

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

The problem with that theory in respect of this material, is that it has
be diluted with water!

Alan

So dilute your water with whiskey. ;-))

Now that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that, perhaps it is because I
cannot think any more!

Alan

Does it have to be Irish Whiskey, or will Whisky serve the purpose?
--
Gordon Mac'H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-11-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.

....and thank goodness for them, I say!

Old 16-11-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What ever is in the ground will be absorbed by the plant so I don't feel
urine is safe. I think the reason woman's pee is not used is because
woman take a lot of prescriptions that have Hormones in them. When woman
become of an advanced age they go through (midlife) changes that are
only corrected by lots of hormone pills that stop woman from growing
beards and becoming violent towards their husbands.

I grow over 50 tomato plants in the summer and I'd never use any urine
in the compost especially with hormones in it!. I believe if you'd like
your compost pile to break down very fast you should use a few bottles
of dark beer and tell the house boy or the gardener to turn over the
compost pile a few extra times a day.
I believe the best fertilizer in the world is worm castings but they are
VERY expensive in the store.

Old 16-11-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 11:46:48 +0000, "Ophelia" said:

In message , K
It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.

...and thank goodness for them, I say!

I think so. It's good to think of new gardeners coming along and
getting answers, tips, hints, bit of hard-found wisdom etc. That's how
the 'old' gardeners learned their craft. Proper gardeners, that is.
My husband - 60 years a nurseryman, descendant of nurserymen - told me
of an 'old boy' who said to him "listen to the old boys. They'll
chatter on but every so often a little nugget will come your way and
you'll have learned something." Well, he did listen and he learned
and when asked, he passes on what he learned. That's gardening, not
some J come lately who's all mouth and no trousers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-11-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

Some practical research yesterday proved that I can irrigate my compost
bin directly, out of view of anyone, thanks to the pampas grass which is
in full splendour at present. :-)

I fear a warning about Pampas grass may be required at this point least
you dangle something delicate anywhere near the wretched stuff!!

I know, I tried to kill it several times[1], but had to duck out of the
way of it's blades.
It's located several yards away from the compost bin, but blocks out the
view of the bin area from the ginral public.

I dosed the other plant with weedkiller, then set the dead part alight,
with a hosepipe at the ready. I got it down to a stump, but
burned a hole in my fence even though I had soaked it with the hose.

I didn't realise this until a fire engine arrived, called by a neighbour
who saw the fence burning from the other side!
They larfed at me, they did, once I had extinguished it, but warned me
to soak it well before leaving it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-11-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vermicides was To pee or not to pee?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from Sacha contains these words:

(snip) what flitted through my mind is how
very careful some people are about not using animal manure that
contains veterinary medicines.

Many veterinary medicines used on herbivores, are intended to kill
insect parasites, including intestinal worms in the colon. Faeces
containing active ingredients
could possibly reach and kill beneficial worms, insects and organisms
in a compost heap.

Interesting point. I use masses of horse manure in my garden (fresh and
uncomposted) and have never asked the owner of the horses about her
vermicide use. It's never bothered me and certainly doesn't seem to
bother
the worms who seem to respond very positively in both increasing
numbers and
size by the application of masses of the stuff.

One manure I use (horse) is well aged before it gets here, and then
either, spread around non-food
plants, or added to the compost heaps (used on food crops) By the time
we turn or empty compost heaps they are full of worms
and there are plenty in the garden soil

I've often wondered if the 'ban' on using manure in gardens because of
vermicides is just an urban myth

AFAIK, the only "ban" on using animal manures is by vegans.

By 'ban' I meant the much repeated comment that horse manure kills earth
worms because of the vermicide. I can't say I've ever observed this, rather
the reverse - worms seem to love the stuff and as don't even seem to have
problems with it very fresh.

given that intestinal worms and earth worms
would be two different species. I found this site which gives some info:
http://santacruzwire.com/index.php/m...c-gardens.html
(specifically about Ivermectin)

Interesting site.

but would like to know for sure now the subject has been raised. Would
one
of your vet contacts know for sure?

I'll ask how frequently horses are recommended to be wormed *in this
country*; (but that may not apply
in others. Different continents and climates support different nematode
parasites/animal health risks) .

I wasn't clear in what I was asking. What I'd really like to know, is if
earth worms (which are a different species to intestinal worms) would be
killed by vermicides. Some 'poisons' will kill some species but not all.

Old 18-11-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"alan.holmes" wrote:

No, just that if you are stupid enough to buy this product from a garden
centre you are instructed to dilute it with water.

If I can remember I will have a look round the next GS I go to, to see if
they have it.

But don't bank on it, cos by the time I have pressed the 'send' button I
will have forgotten all about it!(:-(

I think you're talking about Garotta (if that's how it's spelt?), Alan?

I don't think so, garotta is pellets whereas the stuff I am talking about is
a liquid.

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 18-11-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , K
writes
aquachimp writes
On Nov 14, 10:19 pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.

I was peeing on my compost and in my watering can long before usenet was
discovered by a callow youth.

Weren't we all?

Alan

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 18-11-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:41*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

I've found the thread interesting and entertaining,
and I'd like to think that pee does help compost,
but I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

Which constituent of urine is supposed to accelerate composting?

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Urea Tim. I'm too civilised to actually perch on top of a heap, I
mean, what Lady would ? :-) I do use urine on the compost heap but I
would not actually be perched on it, heaven forbid :-)

Judith
Old 18-11-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death *by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same
advice over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their
questions unanswered.

I was peeing on my compost and in my watering can long before usenet was
discovered by a callow youth.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

So were our Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers albeit, with
discretion.
Old 23-11-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah Judith you live in France so you must be doing far worse things than
peeing on your compost heap.

vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 07:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
pee in the pile Mogie Gardening 52 03-10-2003 04:22 AM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 02:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 04:56 AM