Old 20-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered User

I garden on sandy soil and ant nests abound. I find that growth of plants in both the veg patch and the borders is stunted where there is an ants nest close by.
__________________
Gardening in East Herts
Old 25-11-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Organic Remedy for Destroying Ant Nests

. au...
wrote in message
Judith in France wrote:
4) o.k. no probs with plants, I think?

I have more of a problem with them on my plants than anywhere else!
Every year they fill up my cherry tree and harvest from the aphids
that congregate there.

Ants actually farm aphids and do so by spreading them.

Yes, they do farm aphids - and why wouldn't they? It helps them to survive.
How do they spread them?

Tina

Old 25-11-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

.au...
wrote in message
Judith in France wrote:
4) o.k. no probs with plants, I think?

I have more of a problem with them on my plants than anywhere else!
Every year they fill up my cherry tree and harvest from the aphids
that congregate there.

Ants actually farm aphids and do so by spreading them.

Yes, they do farm aphids - and why wouldn't they? It helps them to survive.
How do they spread them?

Tina

With a knife?
--
hugh

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How do they spread them?

Carry them?

I don't think so but they might carry them back to their nests to farm them

I think I heard on GQT some time ago that they "help" by moving the
aphids to new parts of the plant, so spreading them around more.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Clare" wrote in message
How do they spread them?

Carry them?

I don't think so but they might carry them back to their nests to farm
them

I think I heard on GQT some time ago that they "help" by moving the
aphids to new parts of the plant, so spreading them around more.

Why would they do that? Ants are interested in collecting honeydew from the
aphids, why would they move them around? They certainly take them back to
their nest to farm them there for the benefit of their young. Isn't that
*so* amazing?

Tina

Old 01-01-2010, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:04:55 +0000, uriel13
wrote:

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;869820']"uriel13" wrote in message
...-

Hi All,
I can’t find a section on this site for pests and diseases so I will
just post this in the hope that someone might find it of use.

This was a tip I got from an organic market gardener on another
allotment site about 6 years ago.

This requires to be done when the weather is dry for reasons which
will
become obvious.

First locate an area where the ants are active, now sprinkle some dry
semolina in a small pile.

The worker ants will transport this new food source back to the nest,
the queen will be fed the new food first.

Having eaten the dry semolina it will expand in the moist environment
of the queen's digestive system and she will explode through being
unable to digest it. This it was said would also be the fate of the
larval queens in waiting who would also be fed the semolina. The
result
no queens no eggs no ants.

I have only had to use this remedy once on my plot and it worked
perfectly. Now if I could only find a similar remedy for Slugs,
Bindweed and Horsetail I would be in allotment heaven.
-

List five reasons why you need get rid of ants and tell me what harm
they
do.
You won't be able to.

Tina

Hi Tina,

1. They bite me.
2. They invade Bumble Bee nests that I protect on my plot
3. They invade bird nests in my hedge bush.
4. They kill Hoverflies.
5. They kill Butterflies.
6. They get into everything in my hut.
7. They attack anything that moves.

I could go on but the list is endless, I humbly suggest that you
observe these hoodies of the insect world as I have done. Criticism is
best employed from a position that is unassailable through depth of
observation.

PS:- Bumble Bees and Butterflies are fast becoming endangered species,
ants on the other hand can be counted in the billions and probably
trillions. Anything that I can do to protect these friends on my plot I
will do with great gusto.

No offence intended but I honestly can’t think of any reason why I
should let ants decide what lives and what dies on my plot through
force of numbers.

Strange to see the sort of thing that gives some nuts a hard on. Do
you goose step everywhere too?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Registered User

Strange to see the sort of thing that gives some nuts a hard on. Do
you goose step everywhere too?[/quote]

Pathetic!!!

uriel13
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:29:32 -0500, uriel13
wrote:

Strange to see the sort of thing that gives some nuts a hard on. Do
you goose step everywhere too?

Pathetic!!!

I agree leave the ants alone.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Registered User

Hi Lloyd,
Fortunately this information is now out there on how to destroy these nasty little sods.

PS :- I am spreading this information far and wide “Have a nice Day”

uriel13