Old 16-11-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cyclamen - the bad news and the good news

Last autumn I put some pretty scarlet cyclamen (persica types) around my
reddish cordyline in a pot, and they looked a treat. This year, the tubers
have rotted away :~(. Also this year, oddles of little cyclamen seedlings
have appeared like mustard and cress around the base of the cordyline :~)).
Deeply chuffed! Too young for flowers, of course, but lots of fun for the
future.

Incidentally, I have also grown the hardy types - C. hederifoium and
C.coum - from seed (intentionally, rather than by accident!) with great
success. I have a terrific C.hederifolium with truly gorgeous leaves, and
the tuber is now the size of a small saucer. Masses of flower. I can
recommend it most enthusiastically to anyone who loves cyclamen, but resents
the cost of a flowering-size tuber. Fresh seed is best, but I started with
bought dried seed, so it is do-able.

Spider

Old 16-11-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Incidentally, I have also grown the hardy types - C. hederifoium and
C.coum - from seed (intentionally, rather than by accident!) with great
success. I have a terrific C.hederifolium with truly gorgeous leaves, and
the tuber is now the size of a small saucer. Masses of flower. I can
recommend it most enthusiastically to anyone who loves cyclamen, but resents
the cost of a flowering-size tuber. Fresh seed is best, but I started with
bought dried seed, so it is do-able.

Oh, yes - and, if they like the position, they will naturalise into
a carpet. I have such a carpet in a bed that is in the rain shadow
of the eaves - few weeds grow, but the C. coum loves it. They will
also grow under conifers, where few other things will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-11-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Incidentally, I have also grown the hardy types - C. hederifoium and
C.coum - from seed (intentionally, rather than by accident!) with great
success. I have a terrific C.hederifolium with truly gorgeous leaves, and
the tuber is now the size of a small saucer. Masses of flower. I can
recommend it most enthusiastically to anyone who loves cyclamen, but
resents
the cost of a flowering-size tuber. Fresh seed is best, but I started
with
bought dried seed, so it is do-able.

Oh, yes - and, if they like the position, they will naturalise into
a carpet. I have such a carpet in a bed that is in the rain shadow
of the eaves - few weeds grow, but the C. coum loves it. They will
also grow under conifers, where few other things will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, I have found that, too, Nick. They're little treasures. They don't
seem to take *too* long from seed to flowering size, either .. although
there's only one or two flowers to start with. Quite enough to get one
hooked, I find :~)

Spider

Old 17-11-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

We have some under the big cedar tree towards the bottom of the garden.
But others have put themselves whereever they feel like it and it's an
absolute joy to come across a little stream of them tumbling down a
bank, almost hidden from sight. They're absolute beauties. I went
once to a Greek amphitheatre near Corinth - can't think of the name! -
and we climbed to the top of the many ranks of stone seating, to har
the remarkable acoustics from the stage. On our way up, right near the
top was one little flower head, pushing its way up through the stones.
I may have forgotten the name of the theatre but I've never forgotten
that brave little flower.
--
Sacha

Old 17-11-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:27:14 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

Last autumn I put some pretty scarlet cyclamen (persica types) around my
reddish cordyline in a pot, and they looked a treat. This year, the tubers
have rotted away :~(. Also this year, oddles of little cyclamen seedlings
have appeared like mustard and cress around the base of the cordyline :~)).
Deeply chuffed! Too young for flowers, of course, but lots of fun for the
future.

Lucky you, but you say the originals rotted away. Could it possibly
be vine weevil? If so, be prepared!

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-11-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

:~) Yes, it's amazing how plants do that. Aquilegias always take me back
to my father's garden when I was little; daffodils to my grandfather's.

Spider

Old 17-11-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

probably Epidaurus

http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greece/epidaurus.html

pedant not actually an AMPHItheatre /pedant

agree cyclamen are marvellous

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 18-11-2009, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

Aubretia is grandpa's garden wall and my parents garden is - or was -
the huge and very old mulberry tree that finally gave up and was blown
down in a big storm one night. It was held together with iron bands!
--
Sacha

Old 18-11-2009, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

Pedant or not, you hit the spot. Thank you. I kept thinking Ephesus
and knowing it was the wrong place in the wrong country! I'll go away
and look up aphitheatre......... ;-) I do recall that at a particular
spot on the stage at Epidavros there is an inset plate which marks the
place from where the voice carries best, up and out into the
auditorium. It was superb. The backdrop is mind blowing.

agree cyclamen are marvellous

Paul

'Gallant' is the word that seems to spring to my mind for them, perhaps
because of that moment in Greece.
--
Sacha

Old 18-11-2009, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 16 Nov, 18:39, "Spider" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

Spider- Hide quoted text -

If anybody wants good hardy cyclamen, in good condition at reasonable
prices, they could do much worse than Anne & Les Cordes at
http://www.hederifolium.co.uk/
They're nice people to deal with as well. Sadly for the moment demand
has outstripped supply and they're only offering C. hederifolium at
present 'til they've rebuilt their stocks of the other species.

Rod

Old 18-11-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
On 16 Nov, 18:39, "Spider" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Rod. Added that one to my list :~)

Spider

Old 19-11-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If anybody wants good hardy cyclamen, in good condition at reasonable
prices, they could do much worse than Anne & Les Cordes at
http://www.hederifolium.co.uk/
They're nice people to deal with as well. Sadly for the moment demand
has outstripped supply and they're only offering C. hederifolium at
present 'til they've rebuilt their stocks of the other species.

Rod

Thanks, Rod. Added that one to my list :~)

Spider

Is there an easy way to tell if a cyclamen is hardy or non-hardy without the
frost-test.
I've recently planted up 20 in large pots.

mark

Old 19-11-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mark writes
Is there an easy way to tell if a cyclamen is hardy or non-hardy
without the
frost-test.
I've recently planted up 20 in large pots.

If it's large, it's indoor only.

If it's small:
If it's just labelled 'cyclamen', it probably will not survive the
winter outside, although they can survive quite a long time in the
middle of cities in the S of England. Similarly if you bought them in a
bedding plant-style pack of 6.

If it's labelled 'Cyclamen hederifolium' or 'Cyclamen coum', it's hardy.

--
Kay
Old 19-11-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
mark writes
Is there an easy way to tell if a cyclamen is hardy or non-hardy without
the
frost-test.
I've recently planted up 20 in large pots.

If it's large, it's indoor only.

If it's small:
If it's just labelled 'cyclamen', it probably will not survive the winter
outside, although they can survive quite a long time in the middle of
cities in the S of England. Similarly if you bought them in a bedding
plant-style pack of 6.

If it's labelled 'Cyclamen hederifolium' or 'Cyclamen coum', it's hardy.

Oh dear!

No labels.
Some came from a car boot, 4/£3
The rest from a plant auction, held every Monday.
Some have quite small flowers, the rest slightly bigger flowers. The large
plants with large flowers, I didn't get, as they were going for £1.50 each,
way too pricey
for me!

mark

mark

Old 20-11-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 23:19:05 +0000, "mark" said:

"K" wrote in message
mark writes
[...]

If you do a Google image search on the species Kay mentioned, you might
get an idea from the leaves and flowers there. It sounds as if you've
bought garden ones if the flowers are small.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com