Old 19-11-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lisianthus

Has anyone here grown Lisianthus outside, as opposed to in a greenhouse
or conservatory? We never have - we don't grow it at all - and I
always think of it as a florist's flower. I'm wondering how its quite
delicate flowers would stand up to wind and rain?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-11-2009, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Has anyone here grown Lisianthus outside, as opposed to in a greenhouse
or conservatory? We never have - we don't grow it at all - and I
always think of it as a florist's flower. I'm wondering how its quite
delicate flowers would stand up to wind and rain?

I haven't, but one of the ladies on the allotment site has. But I don't
remember how it did.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-11-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 13:50:47 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
Has anyone here grown Lisianthus outside, as opposed to in a greenhouse
or conservatory? We never have - we don't grow it at all - and I
always think of it as a florist's flower. I'm wondering how its quite
delicate flowers would stand up to wind and rain?

I haven't, but one of the ladies on the allotment site has. But I don't
remember how it did.

If you happen to see her, please could you ask her how well they stood
up to wind and rain? I'd love some in the garden but am not convinced
they'd be tough enough to take it!
--
Sacha

Old 20-11-2009, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone here grown Lisianthus outside, as opposed to in a
greenhouse or conservatory? We never have - we don't grow it at all -
and I always think of it as a florist's flower. I'm wondering how its
quite delicate flowers would stand up to wind and rain?

Quie a lot of info here, however, not sure if it exactly answers your
question.

http://www.extension.umd.edu/publica...PDFs/FS770.pdf

Cheers
Don
Old 20-11-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-20 07:53:55 +0000, Donwill said:

Sacha wrote:
Has anyone here grown Lisianthus outside, as opposed to in a greenhouse
or conservatory? We never have - we don't grow it at all - and I
always think of it as a florist's flower. I'm wondering how its quite
delicate flowers would stand up to wind and rain?

Quie a lot of info here, however, not sure if it exactly answers your question.

http://www.extension.umd.edu/publica...PDFs/FS770.pdf

Cheers
Don

Thanks, Don. It helps a lot. I see that it says that while they have
been grown without netting, it's not advisable as summer rain will
flatten them. Obviously this is production on a large scale for
selling on to florists but it does sound as if it's a bit of a faff!!