Old 24-11-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mice blasted mice

Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 24-11-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes along
the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At the same
time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went down this
am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps gone. going
down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about 15 meters from
its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a reasonable assumption
to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled the dead mice and taken
the traps with them?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

More like a Fox?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 24-11-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Broadback wrote:
Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?

I suppose it's possible. Is it an allotment or a garden?
I guess it's equally possible something like a cat or fox has caught
itself in your trap and been unable to remove them?

Anyhow, at least your mice are sticking to the outdoors. We've trapped
(nasty snappy traps, unfortunately - tried humanely throwing them out on
the compost heap for them to be back next day!) 2 so far, plus one that
must have been hit by the trap then crawled off to die (and make a
stinky smell in my pan cupboard!)
Old 24-11-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It is a large garden. I have not seen any sign of foxes since I "rabbit
proofed" the garden with chicken wire. Still whatever it was I need to
buy some more traps. This time I think I will drill a hole in the base
and peg them to the ground, see how that goes.

Old 24-11-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Broadback wrote:
It is a large garden. I have not seen any sign of foxes since I "rabbit
proofed" the garden with chicken wire. Still whatever it was I need to
buy some more traps. This time I think I will drill a hole in the base
and peg them to the ground, see how that goes.

Perhaps you could add more rabbit-proofing to the traps? Then a larger
animal (fox, rabbit, pigeon, etc) wouldn't get to them, but mice would
still?

Have you tried covering the plantings with spiky twigs (which are in
plentiful supply atm!)?
Old 24-11-2009, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
It is a large garden. I have not seen any sign of foxes since I "rabbit
proofed" the garden with chicken wire. Still whatever it was I need to
buy some more traps. This time I think I will drill a hole in the base
and peg them to the ground, see how that goes.

You may have stopped them digging under the fence, but a fox will climb over
a 6 ft panel fence without problem.

--
Jeff

Old 24-11-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
It is a large garden. I have not seen any sign of foxes since I "rabbit
proofed" the garden with chicken wire. Still whatever it was I need to
buy some more traps. This time I think I will drill a hole in the base
and peg them to the ground, see how that goes.

Perhaps you could add more rabbit-proofing to the traps? Then a larger
animal (fox, rabbit, pigeon, etc) wouldn't get to them, but mice would
still?

Traps used against vermin by gamekeepers have to be covered. I'd
suggest you do the same. Wire netting tunnels at least. Perhaps put
them under upturned suitable sized plantpots with a stone under the
rim to let Mr. or Mrs. Mouse in easily. Mice like to be under cover
anyway so give them somehere "interesting" to hide :-)
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 24-11-2009, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-24 16:47:44 +0000, Aries said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:58:25 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?

I had most of my early broad beans dug up last year - but by squirrels ! and
also a cock pheasant!

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just
recently. They're shameless!
--
Sacha

Old 25-11-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-24 16:47:44 +0000, Aries
said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:58:25 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?

I had most of my early broad beans dug up last year - but by squirrels !
and
also a cock pheasant!

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just recently.
They're shameless!

I sow our broad beans, and other beans in pots and then plant out. That way
there are no gaps in the row.

Steve

Old 25-11-2009, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:04:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just
recently. They're shameless!

Beautiful tho. I love seeing them but not when they're pinching my seeds !

Any veg we grow are for sale, so they're in pots in the greenhouses and
more in danger from stray mice, if any are around. I sometimes put out
sultanas for the pheasants, too and they get quite silly about them.

--
Sacha

Old 25-11-2009, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries

!

Any veg we grow are for sale, so they're in pots in the greenhouses and
more in danger from stray mice, if any are around. I sometimes put out
sultanas for the pheasants, too and they get quite silly about them.

--

The old poachers used to soak sultanas in whisky and then collect up the
drunken pheasants when they either fell out of the trees or couldn't make it

Doesn't seem very sporting, does it?

Tina

Old 26-11-2009, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:04:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just
recently. They're shameless!

Beautiful tho. I love seeing them but not when they're pinching my seeds
!

Any veg we grow are for sale, so they're in pots in the greenhouses and
more in danger from stray mice, if any are around. I sometimes put out
sultanas for the pheasants, too and they get quite silly about them.

--

The old poachers used to soak sultanas in whisky and then collect up the
drunken pheasants when they either fell out of the trees or couldn't make it
up there to roost.

Doesn't seem very sporting, does it?

Tina

I'd heard of that trick and no, it doesn't!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-11-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:04:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just
recently. They're shameless!
Beautiful tho. I love seeing them but not when they're pinching my
seeds
!
Any veg we grow are for sale, so they're in pots in the greenhouses
and
more in danger from stray mice, if any are around. I sometimes put out
sultanas for the pheasants, too and they get quite silly about them.
--

The old poachers used to soak sultanas in whisky and then collect up
the
drunken pheasants when they either fell out of the trees or couldn't make it
up there to roost.
Doesn't seem very sporting, does it?

I'd heard of that trick and no, it doesn't!

I don't think the poachers were intending sport though, were they? Just
an easy, efficient and quiet kill.
--
Kay
Old 26-11-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

[...]

Oh definitely - food for the pot etc. But I do agree with Val that
it's a bit hard on the poor old pheasants to exploit their weakness!

Blasted mice Broadback United Kingdom 20 17-02-2007 05:45 PM
Oh, shucks! My paph malipoense bud-blasted :-( J Fortuna Orchids 9 25-08-2006 02:25 AM
help - blasted squirrels garden virgin United Kingdom 14 01-05-2006 11:57 AM
Those Blasted Junipers Iris Cohen Plant Science 3 08-12-2003 09:42 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM