Old 29-11-2009, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rain rain go away...

Days and days of it with a few clear spells in between, are making it
hard to get planting a newly dug out and turned over flower bed. It's
becoming very boring to see this dire weather all the time and last
night, we had yet another horrible gale that went on for hours.
However, I've been told that the choice of what goes into this bed is
mine entirely (I'll believe that when I see it!) and so I'm able to
enjoy a bit of dream-gardening, at least. So far, I'm thinking of
Dahlia Engelhardt's Matador, Thalicturm delavayi Hewitt's Double
(lots), Nepeta, Phlox White Admiral, Iris chrysographes, Nerines,
Dianthus Old Mother Hubbard, Diascia personata, Salvia involucrata and
as Ray says when I list that lot to him - a rather bigger border
altogether! ;-) As an experiment - because it might not live - I'd
like to try Thunbergia gregorii up the wall. It goes mad at Coleton
Fishacre but they're so close to the sea that it suffers little in
winter. And because it will be outside bedroom windows and the office
window, I'd also like to try a couple of Lonicera for height and scent.
As I say - one can but dream!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-11-2009, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 29-11-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Mmm .. it's chucking down gallons of 'stair rod' rain here, too. I'm glad I
live on the uphill side of our road :~).

Congratulations on getting an entire border to yourself! Your planting
recipe sounds very pretty, except I can't find an image for Dianthus 'Old
Mother Hubbard' - not even on your website! You couldn't very well leave it
out of a personal planting though, could you?!

The Thunbergia is, well, bright! :~). I've often fancied growing one in my
hot border, but didn't want the trouble of growing it from seed every year.
Is 'yours' perennial, or do you intend growing from seed each year? Oh, and
while I'm asking, how does it climb/cling? Will it grip your wall, or will
you need to tie it in, or just point it in the right direction?

Spider

Old 29-11-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget the spring/summer bulbs

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-11-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:47:57 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It's one Ray bred here and you've reminded me to put it on the site!
Dianthus seem to have fallen out of favour but I love them. We also
have one that never went into commercial production, called Green
Lanes, bred by Cecil Wyatt who gave it to Ray. It wasn't successful
commercially because it has rather short stems but it's pure white and
with a scent that knocks your head off - wonderful plant. It's the
ideal buttonhole but I don't think anyone else sells it because it
wasn't considered a commercial plant.

The Thunbergia is, well, bright! :~). I've often fancied growing one in my
hot border, but didn't want the trouble of growing it from seed every year.
Is 'yours' perennial, or do you intend growing from seed each year? Oh, and
while I'm asking, how does it climb/cling? Will it grip your wall, or will
you need to tie it in, or just point it in the right direction?

Spider

It's very bright indeed, though there's also the T. alata Lemon Queen
which might be a bit gentler on the eye! I like to get something
that's a bit of a shock in if possible and it should nicely 'catch' the
colour of the Crocosmia Krakatoa. It twines itself up and around
things and at Coleton has reached the chimney. If we do put it in, it
will be to try it as a perennial, though I'm not over-confident but all
these things are worth a try and we have to experiment here, so as to
be able to tell customers what we find things do in a fairly average SW
garden!

Old 29-11-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:48:36 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I would like to put tulips in and some lilies, too but even in my
imagination, I'm running out of room!

Old 29-11-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:47:57 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget - I'll be checking! :~)

Dianthus seem to have fallen out of favour but I love them.

I love them too; alas, so do my snails. I keep trying to build up a
collection that will give me a 'Sweet William' tapestry of colour but with a
perennial performance. As you might gather from this, I love the darker
bi-colours.

We also have one that never went into commercial production, called Green
Lanes, bred by Cecil Wyatt who gave it to Ray. It wasn't successful
commercially because it has rather short stems but it's pure white and
with a scent that knocks your head off - wonderful plant. It's the ideal
buttonhole but I don't think anyone else sells it because it wasn't
considered a commercial plant.

Sounds like a good alpine or scree plant. It would have to be an alpine
table or pot, otherise you'd miss the scent.

[...]

If you plant the Thunbergii do, please, report on its progress. I'd be most
interested.

Spider

Old 29-11-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:48:36 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

..... and I love the Francoas as see-through front-of-border plants. Verbena
bonariensis isn't the only one!

Spider

Old 29-11-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:47:57 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - I *know* you will! Actually, I've just asked him if there are
any for sale and he's got to take ore cuttings. I do nag him about this
but does it get me anywhere.....

Dianthus seem to have fallen out of favour but I love them.

I love them too; alas, so do my snails. I keep trying to build up a
collection that will give me a 'Sweet William' tapestry of colour but with a
perennial performance. As you might gather from this, I love the darker
bi-colours.

Have you looked at this site. Ray has known Mrs Whetman for years and
I think she may be the only grower left in the area:
http://www.whetmanpinks.com/
Her plants are good and some years ago when I was doing flowers for a
wedding and the bride wanted pinks in the arrangements, I bought loads
of cut flowers from her. They were in perfect condition and just ready
for a wedding day.

We also have one that never went into commercial production, called Green
Lanes, bred by Cecil Wyatt who gave it to Ray. It wasn't successful
commercially because it has rather short stems but it's pure white and
with a scent that knocks your head off - wonderful plant. It's the ideal
buttonhole but I don't think anyone else sells it because it wasn't
considered a commercial plant.

Sounds like a good alpine or scree plant. It would have to be an alpine
table or pot, otherise you'd miss the scent.

Yes, we have an old sink planted up with alpines and I'd like to put
Green Lanes into it next year.

[...]

I will. Ray has promised to grow one on through the winter into quite
a large pot (in stages, of course) so that it has a good root system
before it goes in. We'll see how it goes from there. I would like to
grow Eremurus, too but they never do well here at all.

Old 29-11-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:47:57 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Probably not :~)

Dianthus seem to have fallen out of favour but I love them.

I love them too; alas, so do my snails. I keep trying to build up a
collection that will give me a 'Sweet William' tapestry of colour but
with a
perennial performance. As you might gather from this, I love the darker
bi-colours.

Have you looked at this site. Ray has known Mrs Whetman for years and I
think she may be the only grower left in the area:
http://www.whetmanpinks.com/
Her plants are good and some years ago when I was doing flowers for a
wedding and the bride wanted pinks in the arrangements, I bought loads of
cut flowers from her. They were in perfect condition and just ready for a
wedding day.

Lovely site! Thanks, Sacha. I've saved that for future reference.

[...]

I would have thought Eremurus would love your mild climate. Mind you, now
that I come to think of it, they wouldn't enjoy your wet weather very much!
Since they like it well-drained, could you plant some in the rain-shelter of
your 'Thunbergia' wall in gritty earth banked up against said wall? Orange
Eremurus might make interesting bedfellows for the orange Thunbergia.

Spider

Old 29-11-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 21:42:59 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
snip

I would like to grow
Eremurus, too but they never do well here at all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I would have thought Eremurus would love your mild climate. Mind you, now
that I come to think of it, they wouldn't enjoy your wet weather very much!
Since they like it well-drained, could you plant some in the rain-shelter of
your 'Thunbergia' wall in gritty earth banked up against said wall? Orange
Eremurus might make interesting bedfellows for the orange Thunbergia.

Spider

It's the wet that does for them. ;-( We can't bank anything up
against that wall because it's the slated wall of the house - the
kitchen, office and drawing room windows are in that 'run', if you can
remember that at all. When our garden is wet, it's very, very wet and
when it's dry, etc. etc. We can grow a lot of things that need
draining well in the bed behind the tea room but as there are mature
trees there, they can be too shaded. Ah well, if all was ideal,
there'd be no point in gardening, really. ;-) We might try them in a
car park border, perhaps...hmmmm..

Old 30-11-2009, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 16:48:36 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I like those, too and we do have Verbena bonariensis in several spots.
It needs big clumps to look its best, IMO. We might put some in that
border but it's beside a gravel path bordering the tea room lawn and as
V. bonariensis tends to 'wander', we'd get seedlings trampled on by
customers. I'd hate that! I'm always amused to see the odd tomato
seedling coming up under tables and benches where someone has dropped a
bit of their lunchtime salad. ;-)

Old 30-11-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point in
doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto the market

kate

Old 30-11-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point
in doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto
the market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I dont
feel like spending money for someone who may not be interested :-( so I
will continue to read what you are all going to do

You could plant what containers you are going to plant up, ready to take
with you ;-)

And which favourite plants you are going to propagate to take with you.
That is best done sooner rather than later.
--
Kay
Old 30-11-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes

--

I quite envy you all planning next years garden, I dont see much point in
doing that this year as we are planning on putting the house onto the
market next year, of course it might not sell for ages but I dont feel
like spending money for someone who may not be interested :-( so I will
continue to read what you are all going to do

You could plant what containers you are going to plant up, ready to take
with you ;-)

And which favourite plants you are going to propagate to take with you.
That is best done sooner rather than later.
--
Kay

Mind what you are going to take and make sure the purchaser is aware :-((

Rain rain go away Nad R Gardening 12 29-05-2011 11:43 PM
Rain, Rain, Rain Dave Hill United Kingdom 15 07-07-2009 10:24 AM
Rain...Rain....Rain David Hill United Kingdom 47 02-01-2004 01:51 AM
Rain, rain go away...!? [email protected] Gardening 9 09-06-2003 11:56 AM
Rain, rain go away! Damage report from Southern, CA A guy named Emil Roses 2 15-02-2003 07:39 PM